Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rudge-Whitworth wire wheels
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2023 :  16:50:49  Show Profile
Simon Johnston provided me with the article about Rudge-Whitworth centre lock wire wheels referred to in the discussion on the Technical Forum. I have added it to "Document downloads > Technical > Suspension".
Thank you Simon.
Nick

Webmaster

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2023 :  17:07:50  Show Profile
Thanks, Nick, but let me hasten to say that the article is not from my pen but from that of the late Wilson McComb.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2023 :  17:15:03  Show Profile
As a matter of interest, I am pretty sure the centre lock wire wheel was an invention of the Riley Company in the earlier part of the last century. They sold their manufacturing rights to Rudge-Whitworth when they found they had enough on with car manufacturing.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2023 :  18:31:47  Show Profile
According to this article in Motor Sport - https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/may-2001/41/r-u-d-g-e-whit-worth-hub/ - both Riley and Rudge Whitworth came up with essentially the same idea and prior to WW1 were involved in prolonged legal wrangling as to who owned the intellectual rights to the detachable wheel. After the war, Riley apparently decided to concentrate on cars and withdrew from wheel manufacture, leaving the market to Rudge Whitworth.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000