Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Valve Guides
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  18:44:11  Show Profile
What is the general feeling about valve guide length? The ones (worn out) that I have are cut back to 1 7/8" (11/16" of which is the part on top) This gives a projection into the ports (inlet and exhaust) of only just the rounded off lower end. The new ones I have from S&V are 2 3/8" overall. This seems to leave an awful lot sticking into the ports but suppose it must be OK? Any comments gratefully received! Simon.

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  00:39:52  Show Profile
One option is to have the exposed section of the guide in the ports tapered if you are seeking to optimise performance in every area possible. Tapering the guides will reduce gas flow restriction.

Janspeed undertook tapering work to one of my heads fitted in my latest J engine as part of the overall head development work.

Rich H

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 27/01/2009 00:40:52
Go to Top of Page

Bernard

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  18:13:55  Show Profile
Simon,
I found exactly the same situation and asked a similar question-check he forum. A friend with some sophisticated gas flow software looked into it for a bit of fun and found that the guide projection did not significantly affect the gas flow, probably due to the size of the ports. I find this hard to believe but he flies and says always believe your instruments (but I notice he gives them a tap occasionally) As a compromise I ended up reducing the inlet by 10mm and leaving the exhaust alone as I liked the idea that the guide may help to cool the exhaust valve. It is not a race engine so I am not too concerned.
Hope this helps
Bernard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000