Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Any recommendations for Alloy welders?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  08:05:13  Show Profile
I know this is not exactly MMM stuff but besides my J2 I do have a FIAT 500D...
Unfortunately the alloy door opening lever "came apart in my hand" & is now in two pieces, broken just where the lock barrel is located in the handle.
Does anyone know or could recommend a good (or careful) welder of alloy parts - preferably in the UK but willing to consider all locations?

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  13:37:32  Show Profile
If as I suspect it is a cast item then it cannot be welded (as far as I know). However, if you glue the parts back together, it can be used as a pattern for a green sand mold. Not a difficult process for the home mechanic. Old pistons are a good source of aluminium!
Nick
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  16:32:27  Show Profile
Try a cylinder head reconditioners - modern cylinderheads appear to corrode around the waterways and repair shops fix this with TIG welding. The guy who did the machining on my engine (he is to the north of Glasgow)has welded my M Type aluminium hub caps are they are excellent

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  01:38:37  Show Profile
Contact Len Bull down Essex way. He is a master at welding alloy. Retired now, but takes on small projects like this.

Phone: 01277-822504
Address: The Old Workshop
Moat Close
Doddinghurst
Nr. Brentwood
Essex CM15 ONG
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  20:30:52  Show Profile
Nick's suggestion of melted down old pistons is appropriate for our cars. Was it not used in the Abingdon experimental/racing shop in MMM times and known as pistonium.

Maurice Blakey,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000