Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 N type starting handle location
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  17:51:47  Show Profile
Where was the starting handle and air pump mounted on the N type two and four seaters? My parts list has 3 clips, 2357,listed for the starter handle for both two and four seaters and 2 clips, 2955, listed for the air pump both two and four seaters. Seems a logical place on the four seater would be behind the rear seat sqrab but where on the two seaters??
Thanks,
Terry in Oakland, CA

Mike Linward

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  15:21:15  Show Profile
Terry,

At the back of the instruction manual for the N Magnette is the section marked 'The M.G. Magnette Tool Equipment'. Following an illustrated list of tools, including the starting handle and foot pump is the following paragraph.

"The tools are packed away behind the seat squab in the two-seater model and in the box beneath the bonnet in the four-seater. The starting-handle is fitted on the dash wall support inside the cockpit".

The interesting point is that the two-seat car also has a box under the bonnet, so why make the point of the tools going behind the seat? The back of my two-seat bench upright has a recess at the top and the remains of some clips which I had assumed were for holding the starting handle but there are also remains of some clips on the fire-wall as well. It could be that the recess behind the seat was for the foot pump and the longer starting handle was on the fire-wall but as I have neither I can't be certain how they would fit.

Regards,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  16:04:06  Show Profile
Hi Terry,

I have the original firewall for my ex Police NB and there are no traces of any clips for a starting handle. Will have to go into the garage loft and have another look at the holes drilled. As Mike has pointed out why the difference in storage between the 2 and 4 seaters when both have identical toolboxes under the bonnet!

With regard to packing the tools behind the rear seat, there is not really that much room given the inner rear wheel arch and transmission tunnel, which increases in size at this point to accomodate clearance for the propshaft under suspension movements. The position on my car was made worse because the passenger seat was both set back and off set - I presume this was to allow the observer to have a better view of the speedometer and instruments?

I seem to recall that the matter of storage of the side screens was previously discussed on these pages.

George
NA0960

Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  22:26:16  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

I have been studying these cars for years and am still finding things out.

Mike, the letter box recess is for brackets of the side screens to fit into, so that the rest of the side screens can lie flat in a bag that hangs on the back of the bench seat of a 2 seater. George has bucket seats in his car.

It would be a bit of a pain getting to a starting handle if it were fitted to the firewall as it is on a P type for example because the A post is filled in on a N but not on a P. However, it is impossible to put it there, so I await other answers on this one.

There is space between the bottom of the 2 seater bench seat to place a tool role and a foot pump but far easer to have this on the horizontal platform over the diff cover. This is because the original seat on a 2 seater do not go as far back as some other models because they are constructed differently. They have cut out in them for the wheel arch which prevents them going back so there is a wedge shape space between the bottom of the seat back and the vertical transom panel of the diff cover.

Regards THE OTHER TERRY

Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:08:22  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

I have three original firewalls - NA0810, NA0870, and NA0933. All are NB's - a 2 seat, a 4 seat, and mine. None have clips or even small hole evidence of them. Terry A is right on about the side screen brackets snuggly fitting into the (2 seater) seat back recess and hanging upside down in a "bag". This would eliminate the possibility of crank clips on the seat back. Perhaps they were mounted like a TC on the rear floorboard riser?? I do not have any original NA/B rear risers. Maybe the 4 seat cars had the crank mounted on the rear seat back like TAterry sez.?

As far as the tool foto and description in the N manual goes, sounds like the exact same page (or printing plate) that appears in the P manual (which tool box DOES, of ourse, differ between 2 and 4 seats). I don't have the manuals in front of me right now to compare. Certainly both 2 & 4 seat N-Types have the very same tool box so perhaps this page (or plate) was simply grafted wholesale from the P-Type manual?

I also have what I believe is an original crank with NA0933 and it simply is too long to fit into the tool box. However, the jack and pump may certainly fit and perhaps the clips are attached in the box.

Has anybody checked the NB in Gaydon and what does Will Opie have to say about his 4 seater?? tommm
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  23:04:29  Show Profile
Hi
I owned NA 700 until recently for 37years. About the time I bought it, I was told that the starter handle fitted on clips on the inside of the bulkhead (cockpit side). I could never see where there was any sign of clips and there were no holes that would indicate that one was ever fitted.
Even if it had fitted there, it was very impractical and would mean kneeling on the ground and reaching under the dashboard.
No fun when it's wet.
My starting handle fitted easily in the tool box, and if the car isn't starting, then you would probably have the bonnet open anyway. Much more practical!!
Regards
Rod

Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  16:45:33  Show Profile
Hi, On TomĘs suggestion I have checked WilliamĘs original car and there is no sign of the starting handle on the bulkheadą.
Regardsą. Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000