Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Searching for History KN-Special 1935 (NA 0696)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roland468

Switzerland
4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  21:51:27  Show Profile
Dear MG-Friends

Since several months I am the proud owner of the above-mentioned car. A fantastic pre war car.

To increase my knowledge about that car I like to know if somebody of you do know anything more than:

1945 Body got destroyed
1951 William Knight owned car
- Had a new body made (similar like K3)
- Added a goofrey supercharger

1956 James Knight owned the car (brother of William)

1969 - 1986 Allan McLennan owned the car and went to several VSCC events

1986 - 1989 Alfred Dalton owned the car and went to several VSCC events

1989 B.A. Gilles owned the car and went to events abroad like Sebring, Laguna Seca and Nassau

1992 Patrick Dimier owned the car and went to events like Ollon-Villars, Mont
Ventoux, etc.
- During that ownership the original gear box (still existing) was exchanged to
a Wilsen pre selector 75
2003 he had an accident with the car and decided to "park" the car in the Museum
"Musee de l'automobil" in Switzerland
2007 in January - I could pick the car up at the museum and brought it back on the
streets and tracks of Europe

I would be very much interested into the whole history – all little and big stories which surrounded that car, the owners, the people who saw it – who does have a story about it – who does know anything about race history etc.

Some information I found in the FIA-Papers but I am sure that there is more around, because I think that Mr. Knight not only by pleasure gave the car such a charming and “race-car” body.

For any information I would send you at least a very warm “Thank you”.

Best wishes

Roland

<u>Roland / CH</u>

RacingSnake

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  22:57:50  Show Profile
Hello Roland,
Sounds like an interesting car to see out and about again.
Maybe you have received some private feedback, but here is something I found (easily, so you probably have it already...):

The December 2003 Bulletin has a report on the Ollon-Villars hillclimb in which Patrick had his accident.

Will you be coming to Silverstone for the International w/e in July?
Alex.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  13:13:02  Show Profile
Hello Roland,
when I had the chance to look through the chassis files some 30 years ago,
I made a note about NA0696 "Chassis to Abbey, spec. engine".
Perhaps it would be a good idea, to try to get a copy of the file.
Gerhard

Edited by - Gerhard Maier on 14/05/2009 17:50:59
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  14:44:20  Show Profile
Ronald,

The history of your NA 0696 is very complicated so IÆll e-mail you direct with some information and requests for photos.
Bob Clare
Registrar
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  10:27:19  Show Profile
Hi Roland,
This is a car I remember well from the 1960's, and I often raced against Andy MacLennand, and did help him to make the car go well. The body, I have to say was nothing like a K3, it was a 50's stly racing body, similar to the Frazer-Nash cars of the period, somplete with a "modern" nose cone. Andy was very successful with the car in the period he had the car, and it was sold to Tony (Anthony) Dolton, who continued to race it for a period. It then went to a doctor, Margulies was his second name, but I forgotton his first, not Dan or any relation to him. Dr Margulies lived in Kent, and evemntually sold the car through an auction house, and bought a Connaught F2 car of the 50's. I think it was Tony Dolton who fitted an MG-style cowl to the front, replacing the 50's nose cone, although this was painted, no plated.
I hope this helps a little, although I have to say that the car has no pre-war "history", as it was, I think a two-seater Sports, and there was some evidence to suggest this body was a special Abbey confection, rather than a standard two seater. Any competition history is post-war, from around 1953, and Andy was the most successful driver with the car, eventually lapping the "old" Silverstone GP Circuit in less than two minutes, which to my knowledge was only bettered by Syd Beer's ex-Monkhouse K3 at the time.
Best wishes,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

roland468

Switzerland
4 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  08:43:14  Show Profile
Hello Alex,

Sorry for the late response - I have red it but could not find an article in the web.

Do you have a link or an articel which you could scan and send me?

I do actually know about the accident of Patrick, who then decided to give the car in yunger hands, after he put the car in the museum in Geneva.

Should you have any information about the car in previous years - that would interesst me to.

Just let me know if I could do you a favour.

Best regards,

Roland

quote:
Originally posted by RacingSnake

Hello Roland,
Sounds like an interesting car to see out and about again.
Maybe you have received some private feedback, but here is something I found (easily, so you probably have it already...):

The December 2003 Bulletin has a report on the Ollon-Villars hillclimb in which Patrick had his accident.

Will you be coming to Silverstone for the International w/e in July?
Alex.

<u>Roland / CH</u>
Go to Top of Page

roland468

Switzerland
4 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  08:45:10  Show Profile
Dear Gerhard

Thank you very much for your posting.

I have already ordered the copy of the chassis file and hope to get some interesting and new information about it.

Please let me know if I can do you a favour.

Best regards,

Roland

quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard Maier

Hello Roland,
when I had the chance to look through the chassis files some 30 years ago,
I made a note about NA0696 "Chassis to Abbey, spec. engine".
Perhaps it would be a good idea, to try to get a copy of the file.
Gerhard

<u>Roland / CH</u>
Go to Top of Page

RacingSnake

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  22:49:38  Show Profile
Hello Roland,
Sorry, I should have said The 2003 MMM Bulletin, which is on this website.
Here is the link:
www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/December03Bulletin2.pdf
The report is on Page 09

I am afraid I don't know any more, but you seem to have stirred some memories, so I am sure you will soon have a good collection of stories...

Alex.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000