Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Sealing solid copper head gaskets
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:31:10  Show Profile
Hi all

I was speaking to a Canadian friend reference my fitting a solid copper headgasket to my PA and he has told me about a coulpe of products used overthere by hot rod builders using solid copper h/gasket they are :GWG P/5 Gasket dressing & Permatex 80697 copper spray this is a high temp sealant for copper gaskets any one used these products to seal a triple M soilid copper gasket ? and are these better than Wellseal?

Thanks

Bill

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  23:19:01  Show Profile
hi, i can vouch for welseal, wonderfull stuff.
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  09:32:20  Show Profile
Yes, Wellseal is the business (been around for years!).
Apply thin coat to all four surfaces & let it go tacky before assembly. The gasket will require annealing first of course...
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1580 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  14:29:44  Show Profile
Please forgive my lack of first-hand experience here as I've yet to get to this stage in my rebuild, but if a sticky gasket sealing 'goo' is used won't this make alignment of the cylinder head to get the vertical drive components properly lined-up difficult?

Not withstanding the 2 waisted cylinder head studs which help to act as dowel locators, I believe there is still a requirement to carefully align the position of the head to get the camshaft pinion drive fork to mate co-axially with the dynamo output coupling?

Please will someone clarify this?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  17:06:25  Show Profile
Bruce,

As I understand the important thing is to ensure the dymnamo shaft is exactly concentric to the shaft of the cam bevel gear. A slightly thicker gasket will move the drive forks away from each other but it will not affect the aligment of the shafts. Shallow forks are available to accommodate skimmed heads. The aligment of the shafts is adjusted by either rotating the lower bevel gear box (may need the dowel to be moved !!!!)or selecting a shim pack between the block and bevel box. Not an easy job but an essential one. I know a J2 that has double spring washers on the dynamo securing bolts that are finger tight. You can see the casing move as the engine runs - that is after you have wiped the oil away. It has been like this though for the last 20 years.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1580 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  22:27:26  Show Profile
Thanks Jan, so the cylinder head location on the block is 'fixed' via the two waisted/dowel studs and concenticity alignment for the vertical drive dynamo shaft and the camshaft bevel gear drive shaft is via adjustment of the crankshaft bottom bevel gear housing to the block...........hmmmmmm.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 23/07/2009 22:30:40
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  07:03:13  Show Profile
Everything thing is 'fixed'. That is the problem. It is easier to find any necessary adjustment by repositioning the front housing as described above. Once the correct alignment has been re-established, then the relative positioning can be 'fixed' again and (theoretically) should never alter.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  10:41:59  Show Profile
Bruce,

I tried to test for concentricity with a DTI fixed to the dynamo fork and the plunger running round the bore in the cylinder head. Unfortunately my dial indicator is too large and I just couldn't get it to work. I then made up a mandrel that was a close fit in the pinion bearing and turned a point on one end. I could then test for alignment using the centre countersink on the dynamo shaft. I believe this a standard method.

Cheers

Jan T

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1580 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  11:50:22  Show Profile
Jan, thanks for the method for achieving concentricity in the vertical drive.

Andrew, thanks for a superb engine re-build article in the 2008 Yearbook - a new reference document for all of us.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  19:14:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Sutherland

Jan, thanks for the method for achieving concentricity in the vertical drive.

Andrew, thanks for a superb engine re-build article in the 2008 Yearbook - a new reference document for all of us.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Very kind of you to say so. Appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
693 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  10:34:05  Show Profile
You have to start from first principles! Ensure that the top of the block is parralel with the bore of the main bearings and that the front face of the block is square to this. Now you can follow the instructions re centering dynamo drive line!

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1580 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  11:08:31  Show Profile
Many thanks to all for clarifying the exacting requirements for aligning the vertical drive components, and my apologies to Bill for hi-jacking his original query.

So, itĘs Wellseal or an equivalent to be applied to both sides of an annealed copper cylinder-head gasket and also to each mating face on the block and head then?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000