Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Body/Chassis mounting
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  10:32:46  Show Profile
Apologies for resurrecting the subject but can anyone confirm whether or not there was a "felt" strip - or some sort of packing- between chassis and body - particular reference to M Types - thanks, Rich

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  18:41:01  Show Profile
Richard, sorry about the delay in answering. Mike Lowndes,the previous owner of 2M 371 is emphatic that there was no padding or packing between the body of his M-type and the chassis. Since he bought the car in about 1956 in excellent original low mileage condition (and the history was known) it seems reasonable to conclude that the first time the body was removed was when he did it in recent years for light restoration.....Perhaps others have different evidence?

Since the presence or absence of padding is not visible when the car is assembled would it not be just as well to go with whatever is considered best practice? I believe I read that Morgan use some sort of padding and they have had plenty of experience.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  10:55:39  Show Profile
When I rebuilt both the TD and M Type I used black silicone sealant between the body and the chassis. I waxoiled the face of the chassis first to prevent the silicons sticking. I reasoned that this would provide a good cushion but wouln't hold water.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000