Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bob Brassington
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:42:23  Show Profile

It is with great sadness that I report that Bob Brassington died in hospital on Thursday 20th August 2009 following a head-on collision on his way back from an Ariel Owners Motor Cycle Club Cheshire Branch meeting on August 3rd. Bob was in his MGF when he was hit by a joy rider in a stolen Audi.

He was a staunch MG owner over many years with his collection MGs NB 2 seat, TD, and more recently an MGF. Bob had a long-time association with The Triple-M fraternity and was the regional co-ordinator for the Manchester (South) section of the Octagon Club.

Bob will be remembered for his gentlemanly helpfulness to his many MG and Ariel friends.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 26/08/2009 20:50:25

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  21:10:18  Show Profile
Bob was also a member of the MG Car Club and a subscriber to the 'T' Register bi-monthly magazine "Totally T-Type".

I have his address but do you know to whom condolences can be sent?
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  16:47:07  Show Profile
What a dreadful shame.
Brasso was a very good pal - we used to meet up at Silverstone each year to have a good natter - seemed to have missed him this year.
We went on the first Cercle MMM event in Luxembourg together. Innocently we decided [foolishly] to do the whole trip, of well over 250 miles from Zebrugge to Larochette in one go. Brasso said he had a very rexaing day in his N - whilst we had to drive furiously !!! in the M all day there and back
Will be very sadly missed
Tony M
Go to Top of Page

Jamie Dowley

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  16:54:14  Show Profile
Very sad news. Bob was a very nice gentleman, he often used to pop down on his motobike to pick up various spares from us for his MG and then head back up the A49. I know Bruce, our engineer chap who had to retire through ill health helped Bob alot with his engine in the early days, and Bob never failed to ask after Bruce , even years after he had packed in, which showed what a decent, thoughtful man he was.

Sports & Vintage Motors

Edited by - Jamie Dowley on 28/08/2009 08:53:37
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  18:53:16  Show Profile
I'm extremely saddened to hear this news. Bob was such a lovely man and had time for anyone. He worked with my Father, many moons ago, at Ferranti's in Manchester. Some irony that he died in similar circumstances to my Father.

Sincere condolences.

Is it possible to have an address please?

Robin
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  20:54:33  Show Profile
What dreadful news.

I did not know Bob very well but we often compared notes on our respective NB 2 seaters and he was always very approachable.

On behalf of the Triple-M Committee I would ask Bruce to pass on to family and friends the condolences of all in the Triple-M fraternity.

George Eagle
Hon Sec
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  05:20:47  Show Profile
It' always seems difficult to find words or even inspiration to respond to such tragic circumstances. Other postings have helped in consoling for me.

I had the good fortune to spend many happy memories with Bob. As others have noted, firstly always a gentleman, kind, giving and considerate. It was a pleasure and a privilege knowing him as a friend. His enthusiasm was second to none, be it MG or Ariel motor bikes. At one time he had a collection of Ariels, one from each decade 1920s through 1950. He put hundreds of thousands of miles on these bikes, without any exaggeration About three years ago while beginning a trip to Italy on one of his bikes he was involved in another incident, not his fault, which caused server damage to one of his legs. Since then he had reconstructive surgery and fought a winning silent battle, not without pain. Even through this troubling period he would always be the positive one, only discussing his injuries and condition if asked about his state of health. The guy was indeed a trooper.

He gave me great pleasure in a number of rides over the Staffordshire, Derbyshire. Cheshire hills. He knew the area like the back of his hand. His conducted tours and drives over the lanes were far more than drives. I noted early how well he drove the NB with a sing-song style of changing up and down through the box, along with a flourish of the hand. Sheer delight.

A number of us shared the day with him at Tatton Park earlier this year. As he sat down he opened his bottle of vino, produced glasses and shared with the ones who were around him. I'm so glad I was present to remind me of his generosity and kindness. These notations are mainly to help me during my grief. Thanks to the others for theirs.

On an amusing topic, as there were plenty when Bob was about, he has a friend, named Peter who lost his sight when he was in his teens. Peter acted as his navigator on, I believe, a Blackpool Rally amongst others in the NB. Peter's has the directions scrolled out in Braille, all's going dandy till Bob throws a sharp right hander, can't avoid the pot hole, hasn't time to tell Peter. All hell breaks loose and upon landing Peter has them about thirty miles along the route. Bob could tell entertaining stories. He'll be sadly missed by many.

I offer no apologies for posting four photos of Bob. The man deservers much more. The photo with the C-Type and Robin Gordon was at Tatton earlier in the year. The others? Bob doing what he did very well.

Thanks for the memories (and the vino) Bob! X

Go well.

Brian

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 28/08/2009 05:24:32
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  13:55:27  Show Profile
Very very sad news. The second recent death of a stalwart due to idiots.

Looking through the Register files it is amazing how often Bob's name occurs and I have always used his published Triple-M brake adjustement method taken from the Octagon Bulletin No.324.

I didn't know Bob in person but I join George in extending Amanda and my condolences to his family.

Bob Clare
Triple-M Registrar
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:51:19  Show Profile
I am so sad to hear of Bob's demise. He was certainly a colourful figure within the activities of the NW Centre. I got to know him through the annual meetings which John Kidder organised in the seventies and eighties. The most sincere condolences to his many friends in the Car Club from us both,
Anne and Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  18:09:01  Show Profile
Having been a personal friend of Bobs for more years than I care to remember I can only endorse the comments that have been made. He was always a gentleman, always had an intesting tale to tell and always willing to offer help when needed. A tragic end to a guy who has done more miles in his various MGs and his motorbikes than anybody could imagine.Back in the 70's he sold his TF with about 113,000 miles on it and had visited Russia on one of his many Ariel motorbikes! Bob has a twin brother, another brother and a sister. For anybody who may wish to send condolences his twin's address is: Mr. Philip Brassington
55 Pinchbeck Road
Spalding
Lincolnshire PE11 1QF

There is to be a service to celebrate Bobs life on 7th September at 12 noon at the United Reform Church, Wilmslow , Cheshire. This church is on the A34 just south of the town centre.
Go to Top of Page

gfitch

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  14:37:59  Show Profile
Four years ago today, Sep. 1,2005, I was fortunate to accompany Bob, along with friends and Triple_M enthusiats Brian Kelly and Ray Masters on a ramble through the hills surrounding Manchester in Bob's immaculate TD and Ray's equally beautiful PA. This was a truly magic day, as perhaps better expressed in the accompanying photographs than in my words.

I was also treated, on a later visit, to a tour of Bob's garage, with his TD, NB, and several Ariel motorcycles, and learned of some of his many UK and continental miles on same. What a sporting enthusiast!

I will miss Bob, as will Brian and Ray, I know. So sad to lose Bob in such an untimely and unnecessary manner. Happy Motoring, Bob.

Gordon Fitch

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000