Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L type headlamps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  19:07:58  Show Profile
The early L types appear to have the Rotax 8 inch headlapms whilst later cars may have had the Lucas L150 9 inch lamps.

I note that Terry Andrew's very original Continental coupe appears to have the larger headlamps, and I notice from the photos of the L2s on this web site that some cars have Rotax lights whilst others have larger lights.!

Does anyone know if and when there was a change in the headlamps fitted to the L types? I think the production period of the Js and Ls coincided with the period in which Lucas acquired Rotax.

George Eagle
L2023

peterb

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  05:30:48  Show Profile
Hi George,I have just gone and measured the headlamps on my L0483, they are lucas and across the outside of the chrome bezel ,which holds the glass in they are 8 inches, dont know if that helps. Regards Peter
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  09:26:29  Show Profile
George, a quick search has found a site by TA Terry - is this the same one that appears on our site occasionally?? - says that early L types had Rotax K624 or K624/2-8inch or Lucas L140-8 inch [Flat lens], later ones the L150 9 inch U flute lens.

Cheers,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 06/03/2010 09:28:40
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  20:13:23  Show Profile
Thanks Peter and Graham for your replies.

It is interesting to note from the posting by T A Terry that both 8 inch and 9 inch lamps were fitted to the L types, I am not surprised at the latter given the number of L types which are fitted with these larger lamps. In my opinion the smaller sized headlamps look more in proportion.

Mike Hawke, whom I saw this weekend, said he thought Lucas took over Rotax about the time the P types production began.

Regards George

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  22:07:29  Show Profile
George
Lucas actually acquired Rotax in 1926 but continued to make the Rotax lamps. The changeover from Rotax to Lucas lamps on the J's and L's occurred about threequarters of the way through 1933 and for a while MG appear to have used both and also appear to have used Lucas lamps fitted with the Rotax badge.

So dependant on when your L was registered it could have had either Rotax or Lucas lamps or even Lucas lamps with Rotax badges.

It could also have had either 140 or 150 sized lamps ( which again I have seen with both Rotax and Lucas badges). Some cars may well have been fitted with 150's by the factory and also the larger lamps were often specified by customers. I believe that all these lamps would have been fitted with flat diffused glasses at this time.

Interestingly the pics in Magic of MG show L types fitted with Lucas 150 lamps except for the Salonette which has Rotax lamps.

I think it is a case of whatever makes you happy !

TH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000