Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 JAPLAC v Blackfriars QD90
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  20:39:22  Show Profile
I have been using Japlac for years and have been very pleased with the results. I can brush paint with it and show no brush marks. I have used it on engine blocks etc and it does not seem to be affected by petrol or oil.

However, I am always on the look out for new ideas and the recent comments on Blackfriars QD90 are very positive. Usually if a paint dries quickly it can chip easily.

So, has any one used both products and if so which do they think is best?

Terry

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  08:55:31  Show Profile
I have been using Simoniz Tough Black (500ml aerosol) recently on chassis components. It takes 72hrs to cure and the result is a very tough chip resistant finish! It really beats Smoothrite hands down....
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  12:28:09  Show Profile
Interesting Adrian, particularly as several Smoothrite aerosols I've had recently, even after 5 mins of shaking, have needed about 10 coats to cover. Not very good!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  20:51:31  Show Profile
As a primer I use Hammerite No 1 Rustbeater the brown,not the pink, applied with a soft artists brush, it covers well, goes on thinly dries quickly without brush marks and has a matt finish which is good for adhesion of top coats
As a top coat I use QD90, again using the soft artists brush, it covers well and dries wthout brush marks but can take several days to really harden especially in low temperatures and yes Terry it does tend to chip fairly easily. I also feel that it is a little over glossy.

Maurice Blakey.

Edited by - Cymber on 30/03/2010 20:53:16
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  16:34:57  Show Profile
Hi Terry

I used QD90 paint and Bonda Primer on the chassis of L2023 and am pleased with the result. However, I do find that the QD90 does not give as hard a finish as Hammerite Smooth. In the past I used Humbrol enamel paint which is totally oil and petrol resistant but unfortunately this paint appears to be only avalable in very small tins as used by model makers.

I have used Hammerite Smooth on the other parts of the car, e.g. axles, brake back plates, drums etc. The Hammerite does give a very smooth hard coating but can be a bit tricky when applying a second coat!

George
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  17:09:57  Show Profile
To add a further variant into the equation, I've used POR-15 plus a top-coating with their Chassis Black where exposed to UV/sunlight. All my applications have been brush-applied and the self-levelling properties have regularly prompted comments asking if I had sprayed.

Regarding impact/chip resistance, some of my old body parts which were subject to panel beating to finesse fit in readiness for final paint, showed no lifting/peeling of the POR-15. NOTE however as for any paint, good adhesion requires very thorough de-greasing of the surface to be coated.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000