Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Known Bronze Cylinder Heads
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  12:11:56  Show Profile
Chris,
Just another snippet of info. on the sbject, I remember many years ago, the late Geoff Monk, in Stockport, telling me, that some years previously, he had got a part machined bronze head in his "pile of bits", and because it was not possible for him at that time to get the machining completed, he swapped it for an original HV8 carb.

It may be, that he got the head from the spares package that used to be with the Harvey Noble single seater Q type, as I know that a preselector gearbox, that I now have, came via Geoff from that scource.
Who he swapped the head with I have no idea.

Ron Grant
Go to Top of Page

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  00:03:56  Show Profile
Just to add to the earlier info on Copper plated heads. I have found a 1940 reference the detail of which is as follows:

"A form of engine reconditioning for improving performance with or without increasing the compression ratio, which has become very popular in England during the last few years is to copper plate the combustion space and valves. It was invented by the Technical Editor of the Light Car. It is reported that engines so treated have improved considerably in performance, having greater pulling power, less fuel consumption and higher maximum speed."

The reference goes on to point to a similar effect with copper alloy heads although the higher conductivity of the copper alloy heads was the biggest reason given for using them.

So is this an urban myth or actually worked as claimed?

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  02:58:30  Show Profile
Bronze cylinder heads were apparently not an uncommon item from the 1930s onward, especially in aircraft and motorcycles. Google "bronze cylinder heads" (with the quote marks) and a surprising number of references appear.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000