Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA petrol tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  10:09:51  Show Profile
The PA petrol tank is steel made of?
and what to do when it leaks? Is it possible to repair it and how?
Thanks
Francesco

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  10:32:53  Show Profile
Francesco, the tank is usually made of steel. A leaking tank can be lined with a special liquid plastic compound which the usual suppliers can provide.

If the tank has any FUEL or FUMES OR VAPOUR do not use any welding or brazing equipment, because this will cause a major explosion and will destroy the tank! Therefore, make absolutely certain that the tank has been completely purged!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  10:42:08  Show Profile
Hi Francesco

The petrol tanks are normally steel.

One way of sealing a leaking tank is to use a sealant - this can be purchased from various UK suppliers including the Complete Automobilist. I have used this in the past to seal an old tank which was first thoroughly cleaned. This was done by cutting out a patch on the back of the tank which was then bead blasted before the patch was welded back on. I used the sealant to ensure the inner surface did not rust again.

The alternative is to have a new tank made! I believe Steve Gilbert still makes these. He supplied me with a new tank for L2023 as the old one was very dented and would have leaked badly due to rust.

George
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  14:26:06  Show Profile
Thanks a lot to all.
We've dismantled it. It looks made of bronze. Does this fact change the trratment?
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  15:29:07  Show Profile
Just to share information and experiences, it can be useful. The tank, once taken out fron the car, turned out to be made of brass or of a bronze alloy; so probably no rust inside. It leaks through an old soft soldering (tin) on an angle at the bottom. So we're now trying to remake the soft soldering and control the tank when it's full full. That's all at the moment.
Francesco
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000