Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 User profiles
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lordrob

Belgium
225 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  14:05:31  Show Profile
Hi,
Just a simple question, why there are not in all the "user profiles"
the ages of the appropriate members mentioned although this is a "mandatory" field in the registration form ?
Kind MG Triple-M regards,
Roby

lordrob

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  14:26:06  Show Profile
My dear Lord Robbie ,

You don't expect a 'lady' to tell, do you ?! Anyway, it wasn't obligatory until recently, I believe.

Cheers,
Cathelijne

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  14:31:16  Show Profile
Hi Roby
The request for a prospective member's age is something that was added to the latest version of the forum software, so members who enrolled before the change did not have to complete that information. I actually have absolutely no interest in a member's age, but the way the fields are presented in the application form makes it almost impossible for internet bots to complete spam applications.
Nick (webmaster)

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  14:39:09  Show Profile
hello Lord Rob,

Why the interest
Is the age of the MG owners an important issue in your Kingdom?

Halbe

Edited by - ht1962 on 22/04/2010 15:39:45
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  17:07:45  Show Profile
I put my age as 101yrs
Well, that's what it feels like most mornings
Go to Top of Page

lordrob

Belgium
225 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  01:24:57  Show Profile
Hello to you all,
As I put it before, it was just a simple question ! So there is a simple answer,there was a REASON that they added it, as Nick explained !
And to Halbe (NL) I want to say that the age of MG owners is probably in my Kingdom not more an important issue than in your country but it is an "issue" where people talk about from time to time.
Otherwise not important, especialy to Cathelijne I want to say that I wouldn't dare to ask your age, I would ask Thijs to tell me !
Roby

lordrob
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  20:52:45  Show Profile
There is one area which I always felt was missing with regard to member profiles, "Location" it's only recently that I have found out that there are other owners not that far from where I "hang out" It would have been nice to have a list of areas (not nessary addresses) but areas, for example There are 15 members in the county of Essex. There are 12 member in the county of Suffolk etc.etc. It would not be to difficault to then make contact with other member in your area. I always felt I was the only T MMM owner in Norfolk. Sort of "Rodney PA no mates"!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2010 :  15:28:39  Show Profile
Hi Rodney
I think your idea is very good. It will require some changes to the forum code so might take some time but I will play with it.
Nick

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  11:56:44  Show Profile
Hi Nick

Attempted to update City in my profile and it failed as in NZ we do not have States. I left this blank. Would it accept a Provence or a County for UK members?

Rodb NZ
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  12:37:17  Show Profile
It will accept anything you put in! The idea is to enable other members to see if you are located close to them. This might make a visit possible or else just a natter. I would be inclined to use whatever place is closest to you that other members can locate on a map or of which they might of heard, even if it is not exactly where you live. An acid test might be to put the place name and country in Google Earth and see if it can find you?
Nick

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  15:39:02  Show Profile
Hi Nick,
Rodney's suggestion is clearly very good & I have just updated my profile. Might it also be helpful if the profile listed the model(s) owned?
Is there also a possibility of making it even more useful by providing the ability to search for say, P Type owners in East Sussex; N Types in South Australia etc?
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:53:59  Show Profile
Hi Dave
Not possible, I'm afraid. The information regarding which cars you own is not stored in the forum database. We could append our car type to our country (so mine would be USA (P) for example). That way you could sort by country and see who had similar types. Not sure what the database search would do with letters in parentheses, we would have to try it out to see. It would rely on people updating their profiles, of course.

Is there much interest out there in doing this?

Nick

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  22:36:18  Show Profile
Here in the colonies where Triple-M cars are few and far between, any additional information assisting newer owners to find kindred spirits would be helpful.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  23:38:57  Show Profile
I have an idea that might work. Let me work on it and I will report back.
Nick

Go to Top of Page

lordrob

Belgium
225 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  09:41:34  Show Profile
Hi,
I think that my "initial" simple question about "user profile ages" has finally led to some other interesting questions related to the users of the Forums.
Kind octagonal regards,
Roby

lordrob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000