Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MOWOG Diff
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossk

United Kingdom
495 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  16:16:45  Show Profile
On a P type we have some one at some point has removed the standard diff and fitted a MOWOG one. The diff has no got damage and we are trying to find out what vehicle is is from so we can try and locate some spares.
I will post some photos later today but if any one has any suggestions it would really help!

Ross Keeling

Edited by - rossk on 28/04/2010 20:16:29

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  17:35:44  Show Profile
Ross,

It could be from a Morris 8 series E.
I have one fitted in my PA, it is a steel housing but has no dip stick and fits in without any mods.

If you can post a picture later I could see if it's the same as my one.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  00:22:20  Show Profile
Hi Ross,

Certainly fitting a Morris 8 Series E differential was a popular modification, particularly among Trials participants. This is because the ratio was 7:37, which is very close to the standard 8:43, but allows for teeth which are somewhat thicker and so stronger. Counting the teeth will also help you in your identification.

I seem to remember other possibilities as well. I think that some of the Morris Minor variants used suitable ratios, but possibly it was only vans. These were common enough in the Sixties but now all seem to have departed. There may have been more effort involved in fitting them, either splines or even the different drive position of Hypoid bevels. Having looked at your pictures once again I do not think it is one of those.

In fact I would say it was probably a crown wheel and pinion swap within a P type casing, but this is not a subject on which I have great knowledge. I have destroyed my share of CWPs and built up axles from scratch, but always with P-type parts.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  07:44:21  Show Profile
Doesn't a YA diff fit with a few mods to the mounting bolt positions, which I think is then much stronger. It was in the MMM bulletin earlier this year, or last year.
Regards

David D

Edited by - Dow on 29/04/2010 07:47:55
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  13:28:25  Show Profile
This is my spare Morris 8 diff, apart from the dipstick holder which is still blanked off and not threaded is is almost identical to Ross's diff and is stamped 7/37 on the flange.
Maybe the dipstick holder was added after.

Fred...

Edited by - mgptype on 29/04/2010 13:31:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000