Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Appropriate tonsorial attire
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  12:30:40  Show Profile
You chaps are lucky that your wives/partners travel in an open MG with you. I am not quite so fortunate, after over 50 years of being blown about the novelty has worn off and my wife is not as keen about open cars as she used to be! Some years ago, as a surprise, I arranged for a local milliner to make her a white leather "wind helmet" just as Doreen Evans used to wear but regrettably it was not approved (squashed hair, etc) and our grand daughter wears it when driving our M-type (M2737--see the Vintage MG Parts site?).
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  18:18:37  Show Profile

Edited by - kimber on 26/05/2010 18:19:06
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  20:49:21  Show Profile
I always wore a traditional flat cap in the early sixties when my car was last used and it only came off once with what could have been disasterous results. It was on a friday weekly commute on which I used to see how soon I could catch a colleague who left a quarter of an hour earlier on the same route so was traveling 'quite quickly'. Having just rounded a bend in third gear the cap came foreward over my eyes halfway through the change to fourth, my left hand immediately went to catch it but my feet carried on with the gearchange process resulting in a wide open throttle in neutral!!! The next I saw of the tachometer was the needle coming down somewhere near where 7000 would have been had there been one. Oh 'bother' I said and drove on gently for a few miles but all seemed well so the drive continued. The crank did break, due to bad regrinding, on the same journey but I can't remember whether this was before or after this incident.

Maurice Blakey.

Edited by - Cymber on 26/05/2010 20:52:25
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:11:04  Show Profile
Hello Gents and Mrs Morbey,

I've only had my flat cap for about 2 years (trying to make a fashion statement, being of the female kind and all), and it has been the most satisfactory form of weather/wind protection: It keeps the rain off my spectacles, my hair out of the wind, no pressure whatsoever on my forehead, a warm head in winter, a cool one in summer, plenty of 'flap' to keep the sun out of my eyes and absolutely no chance of losing it, it simply stays put, even when doing serious miles an hour in dad's J2. I do have to turn it round into 'speed mode' sometimes, but hey, that's even more fashionable, is it not ?
And all this as opposed to the baseball cap my generation tends to wear. I must have lost at least 6 of those!
Last but not least, I obviously look the part !

Cheers,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  08:29:53  Show Profile
Flat 'at for me too, born of over fifty years of driving MG's. Seems to me to be the correct "period", look through contemporary pictures, and you will see what I mean!
When driving at over 50/60 mph, wear it peak to the rear, again correct for the period!
However, it is more correct to drive the bloody cars than to think how nice you look. Cars in garages, or car parks are boring!
Enjoy your cars, and the motoring they afford.
On that score, at the July evening natter at Hampstead Norris (close to Abingdon, Newbury, Reading) we generally have a Triple-M gathering. It's (close to) the President's birthday, and there's a beer (Morland's Original) for driver's of all Triple-M cars attending in their cars. 7th July, starting at around 8pm, The "White Hart".

All the best,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  17:18:36  Show Profile
Gentlemen and ladies,
We appear to have agreement about appropriate period 1930's headgear ......... with no defence from the base-ball cap fraternity! Will check at Silverstone.
Yours......in a flat 'at.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  05:50:12  Show Profile
I've just tried out a new solution to the discussion on this posting.
The wind deflector shown below prevents buffetting. and is easily fitted to the wooden cross member behind the seats in MMM cars. Once I can get the electric motors to raise and lower it smoothly, loosing my "at" will be a problem of the past.This kit is now almost ready, except for the motor conversion to raise and lower it. Price ? with no tax or VAT would be about 136 pints of real ale, in your local currency of course.
Regards
DD

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 31/05/2010 09:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  22:07:53  Show Profile
David (D),
I applaud your lateral thinking. I could most probably find a suitable ‘window lift’ mechanism to aid your quest...........and reduce the expense..............I do enjoy the company of a fellow real ale man.
We mature codgers need some state-of-the-art facilitation raising…………..one’s petard...... after 136 pints........(superman....'s grandfather, perhaps?)

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  05:36:59  Show Profile
Thanks Bruce for your kind words. I didn't make myself clear to all those who might want a kit. The price is payable in installments, over 68 days. Shoulde be no petard problems then.
If we get too successful I expect Nick Feakes will put this posting in the Traders forum !! I will talk with PayPull to see if they can arrange a suitable payment method.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:20:08  Show Profile
Just after I receive my own order!
Nick

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  18:32:00  Show Profile
To return to the original title, the recent articles in most 'Dailies' (even the 'Guardian') concerning the tonsorial trials of a 'celebrity' chef, will have helped members with advice on acquiring replacement hair.

For male MMM drivers, a 'thirties moustache is available free, either an Errol Flynn 'eleven a side' or Battle of Britain 'handlebar' being appropriate.
My mother, a keen driver of fast cars and connoisseur of racing motor-cyclists in the MMM era, reckoned that only a kiss from a man with a moustache gave the complete experience. My wife agrees with this, or says that she does. Perhaps it is the PA which is the object of desire.

It is also apparent that the Trilby hat, often in a shade of 'Racehorse Trainer' brown, is fashionable again, IMHO a very 1930's piece of motoring headgear.

The equally 'thirties cravat, sadly, so handy for disguising wrinkly necks in the aged, shows no sign of a return to fashion.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  08:10:10  Show Profile
I think you have all missed the point. A leather aero helmet and googs did the tric for me. Stays on at 120mph no watery eyes and keeps you ears warm. Just felt a bit of a prat walking around waitrose!
Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:24:15  Show Profile
Rodney. Look up the word 'tonsorial' in your Shorter OED.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  11:36:42  Show Profile
Bob, I thought we had gone off Hair wigs and barbers and on to ats! So if we wish to stay on that subject I have at 65 an enviable "mop" and "me leather hell-met and gogs" kept it nicely in place.

Rodney
PS still hanging up in the garage just in case!
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  05:09:16  Show Profile

For your perusal.

Here's one from Harrod's fashion magazine.

L.-R. Ray Masters, The late Great, Bob Brassington. Two fine English gentlemen alongside a plastic Yank!.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000