Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type rear body construction
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  14:15:47  Show Profile
After a successful outcome of my first "body building" query a further question please.
My car has an arrangement that had always looked so "likely" that I'd assumed it was standard, until I looked at some photos & saw no evidence of others having it. In particular, in photos of an old body "as found" there were no bolt holes in the wheel arches.

The piece of red oxided angle iron provides very effective X-bracing of what is a fairly flimsy structure while also locating the toe board & supporting the battery access hatch. This is not hinged as in photos I've seen, but slots into the slot visible on the top pic, drops down & is held by the small ali toggles on the side pieces. To gain access you remove it completely.
Is this something which was used on early cars & then dropped, or is it something a previous owner has done to mine? I actually think it's quite good!
Dave

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  08:34:50  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

I am sure that plenty of MMM's will contact you re this item.

The ply panel that forms the cover for the rear Axle/Battery is just as you say the rear part is slotted into the gap created in the back panel and just drops into the space provided, I have cut a 1" finger hole to enable removal.

I have not fitted the ali toggles, I do not think they were original fittings.

Just one small additional point, the tiny bolts/nuts visible across the back of your car had a steel strap right across the panel with a small flange at each end secured to the uprighs on each side with countersunk woodscrews

This in effect is a steel "washer" and I guess it is about 25mm deep.

Will send pic offline if you require.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  10:47:32  Show Profile
Hi Brian and Dave,

The angle iron bracket around the top edge or the rear panel is original.

I have one on my car and have seen it on other P types.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  12:08:18  Show Profile
Thanks Russ & Brian,

Yes I know about the piece of steel behind the wing stay screws & merely hadn't fitted it on my trial. I thought afterwards its absence might cause confusion but didn't bother with more pics!

As far as the trim panels go, I have an old (but not original) pair which are of course slotted to go over the angle iron. I'm interested Russ that you also have the slot for the hatch where photos I've seen show in some cases the hatch hinged along its leading edge & some the trailing edge. Does this mean you also have the angle iron & the small pieces of ply in the corners & along the horizontal surface of the iron? The "pretty colour" by the way is genuine lead primer bought years ago as they were about to ban its sale. I don't think too many kids will be chewing this!

As far as the angle iron at the top is concerned, it's there, just not that obvious because of the lead over the Bondaprimer.

What really interests me is whether other cars may have had this arrangement or if it's unique, possibly done in the '50s when the old body was getting rather tired & in need of extra support. It's been very neatly done with the exception of the need to slot the trim & indeed there is nothing about it to suggest it wasn't the original set-up, other than now comparing it with photos & asking other people; the wonders & value of this forum.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  19:02:33  Show Profile
My PA is chassis no. 0613, first registered in April 1934, and does not have this cross bracing. It was virtually a one owner car when I bought it 21 years ago, so I am sure the construction is original.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  19:19:33  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, mine is 0568 & was also registered in April '34. It's beginning to look as if someone did indeed brace a tired old body in the '50s. Perhaps they'd have a go at me now!!
Actually, slotted trim panels aside I quite like the arrangement & may keep it.
ATB,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  20:18:22  Show Profile
Apart from that angle iron cross piece the body looks very original to me! The J2/L2 bodies are very similar.

With regard to the cover over the battery - I think this should be made from one piece of ply with a square cut out which is large enough to enable the battery to be fitted. The lid is fitted as described by Dade. I think the normal arrangement was to have two turn buckles to secure this lid which would otherwise rattle rather a lot!

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  20:55:50  Show Profile
For what it's worth, here is an illustration and some photos of my reinforcement angle bracket to the upper rear of the body tub.

Hope this helps.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  23:31:00  Show Profile
Hi George,
In fact it's not original but made to match the original timbers by my brother in the early '70s.

Bruce, blowing up your 3rd pic, your car looks identical appart from not having the Forth Bridge. Would I be right in guessing that there is a transverse piece of wood near the top of the upright perhaps 1.5 inches square which forms the link between the upright & the horizontal portions which in my case is done by the iron? Also that the small side piece has a rebate to provide support for the hatch which is also presumably supported on the 1.5 inch bit?

Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:42:15  Show Profile
Hi Dave (Oz34),
I have a .pdf sketch of the ash frame panels for a P Type which I can send you. This shows some differences to your photos, but should answer your queries.
Please send me your email address - bruce_sutherland@talktalk.net
Regards.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000