Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Midget (J Series) Instruction Manual
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  21:41:07  Show Profile
I have recently been given an original August l933 J Series Instruction Manual.I have never seen one of these before and wonder if they are rare or have ever been reprinted.It is some 80 pages long,with many photographs and several fold-out diagrams.It is a mine of concise information,although doubtless all is available elsewhere.My copy is in excellent condition although complete with genuine 1930s oily fingerprints,and belonged to the late father of the gentleman who gave it to me and who owned a J2 in 1936.

I should be interested in any information.

David R (J3355)

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  02:00:00  Show Profile
Hi David,

The instruction manuals are neither especially rare or notably common. The works certainly reprinted them several times, my own copy of the P and PB manual shows that the First Edition was published in April 1934, a Second in October 1934, Third in November 1935, Fourth (surprisingly) in May 1940, Fifth in February 1945 and Sixth (to which my copy belongs) in August 1946. This may well be the last works issue for the P type, because 10/- was relatively expensive though it did buy seventy five pages with many photographs and diagrams, as you have said.

Those were the works published manuals, but the Bone brothers issued photocopies from the Seventies onwards and nowadays British Motor Heritage have made available a CD-ROM with all the available manuals and Parts Lists on it. Prior to this, when paper was still of primary importance other people contributed manuals with greater or lesser degrees of works support. In the Fifties Blower collected and published his compendium of data and instructions, and the interest was sufficient to allow authors like Phillip H. Smith in 1952 and C. P. Davidson in 1958 to produce similar books.

Original copies of the works manuals can still be found in autojumbles and seem to sell for around £30, depending on thir condition and how legible they are through the "oily fingerprints" that most seem to have acquired.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  11:30:05  Show Profile
Hello Andrew

Thanks for the information. My Manual is "Reprinted August 1933" which is particularly interesting as my car was first registered 7 September 1933. It is a cycle winged car although by then the swept winged cars were in production and the front page of the Manual has
a drawing of such a car.The price of the Manual was,as you say,10/-
which was a significant sum in 1933.
I have obviously not been going to the right autojumbles,not having seen a copy before.However,it will certainly now stay with the car.

David (J3355)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  16:07:00  Show Profile
Just in case someone doesn't yet know, the otherwise useful CDs don't work with Vista as I found to my cost.
Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000