Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 History of K3s
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBir

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  17:22:01  Show Profile
Hello all, my first post on this forum. I am in Vancouver and used to own a KN/K3 replica that I bought from Peter Green in 1980-I subsequently sold it, still unfinished, back to someone in the UK in 1992, by which time it had the body that had been on K3 028 for many years. I am still very enthusiastic about K3s and have Mike Hawke's wonderful "K3 Dossier". I learned on this forum that there were a series of articles on the history of K3 chassis in the MGOC magazine in November 08, December 08 and January 09. I have been unable to locate these magazines in my area and wondered if any of you have scanned copies that you could email to me?
Many thanks, David Birchall

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2010 :  09:38:22  Show Profile
Hello David,

I have them at home (am at work right now, so no access) and will scan and send tonight.

Regards,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

DavidBir

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2010 :  15:47:55  Show Profile
Email sent. Many Thanks!
David B
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  09:54:30  Show Profile
Cathelijne: I'd be interested in copies too, if you would be so kind. I only learned of these when David mentioned them elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBir

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  18:11:49  Show Profile
My copies just arrived from Cathelijne and I am very grateful-I have only scanned the pages so far but they look to be full of very good information. Many thanks Cathelijne. And many thanks to the authors of the articles. As a result of this request I received a phone call last night from Brian in Toronto and as a result made contact with another Canadian K3 enthusiast. Our discussion caused me to pull out my file of K3 'stuff' and I found an advert that I had copied from Road & Track magazine, November 1954 for a
"K.3 Magnette. Supercharged 6 cyl. 1934. Modified for racing. Pre-selector gearbox. Z/F Differential. Extremely fast. Body rough. Offers. John Gale, ....Calgary".
I wonder which one this was?

Hello Richard (Vitesse)
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  19:21:15  Show Profile
David,

It could have been K3028 as it was claimed to be in that area around that time.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBir

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  21:36:29  Show Profile
Hello Peter--thank you for that info-I still have to read the history according to Malcolm Green (relation?). There was a K3 in Vancouver in the fifties and it would seem that could be K3028 also. It belonged to a member of the family that owned BC Sugar-a major sugar trader. I tried to track it down 20 years ago but drew a blank.

After talking to Colin Fitzgerald at Octagon Motors today I have to edit my comment from my first post. The KN/K3 special(#KN0267) that I bought from Peter in 1980 was subsequently fitted with the body from Gary Schonwald's K3020 NOT K3028. According to "K3 Dossier" Schonwald fitted this body to K3020 in 1968. Octagon Motors in Vancouver bought this body from Schonwald in 1983(?) and fitted it to 'my' chassis. It was certainly not a real slab tank K3 body-but was an MG body with the Carbodies plate and number 9706-20233 well modified to resemble a slab tank K3 body.
I apologise for misleading people but it was an old memory cell that I tapped....
Go to Top of Page

DavidBir

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  05:06:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Green

David,

It could have been K3028 as it was claimed to be in that area around that time.

Peter.

Having read the articles by Malcolm Green (MG!) now I think it may have been k3027. The reason I think that is that Malcolm Green records K3028 as being sold to Canada in 1955 yet in 1954 a K3 was being advertised in Calgary-Western Canada. K3028 was known to be owned by Dave Jackson and then Mr Pinchon in the Toronto area. This is a very long way from Calgary-think of the distance between London and Moscow...Certainly a K3 was in Vancouver in the fifties as well-it is not far from Calgary to Vancouver-or vice versa. I will try to find out more about the "Vancouver K3".
David B
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  10:04:17  Show Profile
David,

K3027 is known to have been in the UK in late 1953 and is thought to be have still been there in 1954.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  18:10:09  Show Profile
According to the info Dad & Jay have:

028 was in Calgary BY 1955 (Johnson), because in 1955 it was sold by him to D Havers, then to D Jackson (Vancouver) in Jan 56, who then moved with the car to Ontario - towed by his TC, so the story goes. There is a bit of a grey area (date-wise) between it's last race with Baird in 1950, through Dick Lovell-Butt around 1951 & then overseas to Calgary via?

027 also has a grey arey as Peter says (date & owner wise), between its last known race with Parsons (Sept 53), sold by him around 1958, before being known to be with Bill Loven in Canada BY 1968 (could have been earlier), apparently with the chassis plate of 028 screwed to a flooboard. The cars paths may well have crossed mid 50s to 60s.

All further info gratefuly received as they say - to either confirm or further confuse!

JH

Edited by - JMH on 16/07/2010 18:11:13
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  09:38:07  Show Profile
Slightly off-topic but by coincidence I have just found, when sorting out some old papers, the chronology of the ex-Bira K3 which resided here in Adelaide for many years. It has now gone to a good home in Victoria. There are many inaccuracies surrounding the history of this car but a old friend (once a very active competition driver and MG enthusiast, now in his 80's I think) and his late father compiled this list many years ago. It was, as I dare say eveyone knows, the last K3 sold by the factory K3030 (ie not the last number but I understand assembled with K3031). It was a pointed-tail car originally painted red and fitted with mudguards, intended by the owner (Pellegrini?) to enter the Mille Miglia but its import to Italy was forbidden (by Mussolini?). It was purchased by Australian John Snow from Chula in October 1935(?), who would not allow it to retain its blue paintwork so it was repainted black. A subsequent owner (before the war) returned it to its blue colour and so it remains to this day. It is very original, has had continuous use throughout its whole life and goes quite well. It was a participant in a Mille Miglia re-enactment some years ago and also took part in a Bangkok carnival to commemorate Bira's life, etc. I have been lucky enough to have ridden in it and been a fellow entrant in a number of rallies and events.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBir

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  18:49:50  Show Profile
I had a long phone conversation with Brian in Ontario last night. He is in almost daily contact with Dave Jackson who bought 028 in Vancouver and did indeed, apparently, tow it to Ontario behind a TC! I also talked with an old friend last night who recalls seeing the rolling chassis behind the tow car on Georgia Street in Vancouver as they were setting out on this marathon. My friend, Ed Arnold, was a friend of Dave Jackson's girlfriend Margaret who apparently owned the TC. Ed is no ordinary guy, in addition to owning Alta GP car #57 he is a car restorer of great renown-numerous Pebble Beach awards etc-no, not the glitz and chrome cars, the real ones. Ed's comment to me last night, and Ed has seen none of the historical info on K3s that has been collected by Mike Hawke, Malcolm Green etc, was that he recalled the chassis was 'not a real K3', he thought it might be K2 or something...There was no body. Quite remarkable recall given that the chassis was only fairly recently discovered to be at least partly KN.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000