Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 serial numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  21:11:30  Show Profile
Hello to eveyone,

I am new here, this is my first post.

Over the last couple of years i have endeavoured to establish the serial numbers of every item on my J2 - J2215, however only today i noticed on the passenger side of the engine bulkhead a serial no comprising the letter A followed by 5 numbers, on a plate high up and painted over.
Can anyone enlighten me please what it denotes.

Thankyou
Sean

Edited by - sas on 21/08/2010 21:34:56

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  22:03:40  Show Profile
Okay, i have more info on this.

The plate in question is, in our money, 3/4" x 3" and on my car has A11623 reverse stamped out on what is either copper or tin and riveted onto the bulkhead. It has been over painted in same colour as bodywork.

I note that on the technical info forum LewPalmer started a thread on 13-5-2010 along the same lines, but different, if you get my drift.

Anyone with a J2 who has an idle moment, have a quick peek and see if anything crops up.

Anything with a number attached or stamped must be there for a reason.
Oh, all those sleepless nights.

Cheerio
Sean
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  01:13:41  Show Profile
There is no similar plate on any J2 (including my own) with which I am familiar. The thread Sean refers to, of course, had to do with the sequential body numbers which were stamped into the wooden body frame, not a metal plate.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Ant

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  16:39:15  Show Profile
Hello Sean,

I was interested to see your post because I was about to write one myself on exactly the same subject. If I understand you correctly, my J2 also has this serial marking - see picture below.

My car is an early model J2 from Aug/Sep 1932, chassis J2020. I have no reason to believe that the body isn't original, and whilst the tub skin is missing, the ash frame, driver bulkhead and scuttle are all present, with traces of the original green paint.

So much is known about these cars, but I have never seen any reference to this particular marking. Does anyone have any thoughts?

AH
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:46:01  Show Profile
Hi Anthony
if you can send me one or two photos of the timber framing to your body I may be able to give you the answer to your question. You have my E mail address.
regards

TH
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  21:28:53  Show Profile
Ant and Terry,

Good response to my question, your plate Ant appears identical to that on my car and fortunately the number, as i read it, differs too which patently means it is a serial and not a part number. Unfortunately i do not know how to go about doing this picture on the pc thing, so your photo has admirably put it all in focus.

Terry, you may remember you saw my J2 in 2008 having fuel issues which you helped resolve. Thanks. I can also take pics if you want but they will have to go to you by snail mail.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:42:52  Show Profile
J3485 (July '33, I think) doesn't have this little plate and never did, ie no holes......

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  07:15:55  Show Profile
J2484 did have the plate when I owned it. Seem to recall there being 2 manufacturers of J2 bodies and differences in construction. Maybe the plates were on some and not others for that reason. My old J2 was quite early. (now in Sweden)
Go to Top of Page

Ant

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:41:07  Show Profile
Many thanks Terry - I will send you some pictures of the framing off-forum. It won't be until next week though - I'm busy at the weekend, as are many I guess.

Thanks Kimber. Perhaps a pattern will emerge that relates to the coachbuilder.

AH.
Go to Top of Page

Ant

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:51:03  Show Profile
Hello Sean,

I forgot to say, there are instruction for posting images in the document downloads section. Very simply, when you are composing your topic/reply, you just need to paste the URL of your (web hosted) image into your message using the 'Insert Image' function in the format bar. You can get the URL of your image from most web applications that allow you to post images on the web, such as Flickr - but there are plenty of others. Hope this helps - have a look at the guidelines.

AH
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  23:18:56  Show Profile
My car has this plate, which must surely be a body number.
It reads A11665 This is on J2338, made early October 1932
I remember reading an article some years ago (oh for a proper personal filing system!) where at least two manufacturers of MMM bodies were named, and these plates were referred to.
Anyone got a better memory?

Oh yes, I also discovered today at the MGCC Wiscombe Hillclimb that a car fitted with this plate goes a lot slower than other cars in the MMM class...!!!

Still, it was a great day out. Thanks again for the set of superplugs, Phil

Brian
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  22:25:32  Show Profile
Well, it would appear this matter can now be put to bed.

As we had the two separate suppliers, Mulliners put their plate, with no name in the location as discussed here, whilst Carbodies, who seem to have supplied the vast majority, placed their plate with their name as bold as you like on the vertical ply panel behind the drivers seat, on the J2. Not sure about other models.

Remarkable really how all the answers are somewhere, you simply need to remember the question.

Night night,
Sean
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  09:25:39  Show Profile
Which 'Mulliner' was that?

At least two body suppliers used the name, one much more grand than the other.

Is there anything on a J2 factory record to show who supplied the coachwork?
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  17:56:40  Show Profile
Hello Bob,

I believe it was the Birmingham based company responsible, however they were all related in one way or another but operated independently of each other. All did coach building at the mid to top end of the spectrum but this would not preclude them doing other work when appropriate and MG were a company whose sights were set on the middle classes, so quality realistic priced work would benefit both them and the buyers.
Rich parents invariably meant monied offspring. A nice MG was the obvious choice, the range of models diverse too. However their prices were no doubt higher than carbodies, and consequently built far fewer.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  12:41:52  Show Profile
Hope you are all enjoying your weekend.

Moving on now to some different numbers and whilst cleaning off the old paint from the engine ready for re painting i note the 2 following numbers:-
1 - the engine number is stamped into the front offside part of the front main bearing housing, below the dynamo. I ask is this common ?
2 - the number 26 is stamped into the top of the front engine cover plate immediately in front of above item, on the passenger side and repeated on the section bolted to this and which then supports the radiator. I ask what it denotes ?

The car is an early J2.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:18:22  Show Profile
Sean

Yes, the front engine housing has the engine number on it too. I understand this was to allow correct assembly after line-boring when lots of disassembled engines were on the work bench at the same time. Didn't work, though. The batch of engines from which my car's came seems to have had all the numbers muddled up!

26... haven't spotted that one yet...

Cheers

P

J3485
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000