Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Interior
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  17:01:31  Show Profile
Hi,
HELP is needed for the restoration of a P-Type with regard to the original trim: has anybody got photos that are of help to find out what the original interior fitting looked like? My special interest is in the fitting of the doors, wheel-covers (body) and the back-wall. What about the seams? And in which way was the interior fitting fixed - using screws or what?
Every little bit helps! Thank you in advance.
Regards Manfred

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:20:31  Show Profile
Hi Manfred

If you use the MMM site Link to Barry Walkers site and go to his 'Parts catalogue' and click on 'MMM Upholstery & fittings Page1' you will see a typical layout of the internal trim for your P type. My trim is now fixed in with No6 stainless steel screw cups and screws, my choice, but were original badly chromed cups & screws.

Hope this helps for start, but I am sure you will receive help from member who are more experienced with trim.

Regards,Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

Horst Wendling

Germany
464 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:42:18  Show Profile
Hi Manfred,
see this site:
http://www.kuijpers-interieur.nl/joomla/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=40&catid=50
and check your Email.

Regards Horst
PA 0492
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  21:15:53  Show Profile
Where as the workmanship is quite nice on the Kuijpers site, I find his choice of the red vinyl to be more akin to a bar stool than the more heavily patterned leather looking vinyl. It's hard to tell what pattern the seat material is, so I can't comment on that.

Or am I all full of it?

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Edited by - LewPalmer on 16/10/2010 03:20:36
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  23:28:49  Show Profile
I had been meaning to send a similar request.
My car when I bought her had a full set of trim but it definitely was not from the factory & it differs in some respects from that which Barry shows. Yet again I will attempt to post a picture!

If I've been successful, the upper very rough sketch shows the arrangement in Barry's catalogue while the lower is that on my car & the only further comment I have is that I have photos which show "joint A" on other cars.
Are there any views as to which set up is correct?
Continuing, can anyone please advise A) What goes on top of the battery access hatch & B) What is the treatment of the vertical panel in front of the back axle; the panel which I think these days is called the heel board.
Many thanks in advance,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  00:51:54  Show Profile
Dave

My rear corner trim is also different from BW's illustration, I don't have separate a corner wedge panel, these are part of my inner wheel arch panel but extend up to same height as the rear trim panel and the outer wheel arch trim then butts in to it. As your photo refuses to appear I can't confirm its "joint A".

Regards,Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

Horst Wendling

Germany
464 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  10:22:05  Show Profile
Lew,
Kuijpers is a professional upholsterer for oldtimer in netherlands.
The car on this site is not made in vinyl, it is leather. The colors are define the customer.
He made the cars in high quality by hand and individually.

Horst
PA0492
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  14:10:42  Show Profile
Hi Dave
The reason your picture is not displaying your link is trying to access a 'private' page. Have a look at this document "Uploading pictures onto the forum via Flickr" in the document downloads section of the main site. I would be interested to see the picture myself.
Nick

Experiment is a poor substitute for experience.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  16:17:53  Show Profile
Hi Alan,

That sounds like mine &, as you may gathered from my comments, this is not the first time I've failed to post a picture! Joint A is a vertical in the side panel, just behind the leading edge of the door.

Nick mentions above that he'd like to see my awful sketch so I've sent it to him directly & I expect, if he thinks it's warranted, he'll post it himself.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Peter Down

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  17:04:12  Show Profile
Hi Manfred,
I think I can help you. My PA has all the original trim and upholstery fitted. The body has never been off so all the woodwork is original as well, owned by me for over 50 years.
I have quite a few photos of the inside but can take more.
Contact me on mariandown@yahoo.co.uk and I will see what I can send you.
Best, Peter (Down)
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  17:45:39  Show Profile
Here is the picture. The instructions have changed recently and I followed them to the letter. The only time I went a bit astray was as a result of not looking at my photostream so I didn't get the 'Actions' tab. Click on 'You' and make sure it says 'Your Photostream' then double click on the relevant photo and continue to follow the instructions.

Nick

Experiment is a poor substitute for experience.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:54:07  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

My trim panel layout is exactly as per your lower sketch and this is the same layout that I found when I bought the old car in the summer of 1962. I am sure there must be interior trim layout differences between the various MG models and not just one MMM trim for all.

I am fairly sure our trim is correct for P types, perhaps Peter Down with his original P trim can advise us on this?

Nick, Thanks for posting the sketches.

Regards,Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  18:28:03  Show Profile
May I also echo what Horst Wending has said, Michael Kuijpers is a very professional upholster for classic cars. I have travelled from England to Holland to see his work. He will do exactly what you want. He has many makes of cars to deal with so he prefers to work with people who know exactly what they want. He has many colours of red hides at his workshop, if the customer chose the colour Lew is referring to, it is not Michael’s fault…… Terry
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  19:32:07  Show Profile
Let me be clear. I was not critisising the workmanship. That looks superb. I was critisising the choice of materials on the interior panels. I feel that the texture of the material is too smooth and shiny. I know it is a matter of taste, but when one is spending good money on an interior, it would only take a little more time and money to choose a material which is a closer match to what I believe is evocative of the original.

Sorry if I offended.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:49:30  Show Profile
Sam

I think Peter Down has already answered Manfred question offering pictures of his surviving original P interior, or have I misread it.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  17:01:24  Show Profile
THANKS to all of you for your numerous and helpful contributions to my topic - it is impressing to experience your quick and competent advices. Special thanks to Peter for the photos and Dave/Nick for the drawing - both will help me a lot to continue my work on the car.
Regards
Manfred
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000