Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Saloon DPP 663, 1150cc.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  14:32:25  Show Profile
John Ewart Rushbrooke of High Wycombe bought my PA 0603, APP 186, in 1934, selling it in 1937. He is recorded as registering an 'MG Saloon, DPP 663, 1150cc' in June 1937, presumably as a replacement. He died in May 1938.

According to the DVLA Enquiry system, this car still exists, in red, though un-taxed since 1997. I cannot trace it on our or the SVW Registers.

If anyone has seen it...........

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  17:13:33  Show Profile
Hi Bob

The Registration number DPP663 does not appeaer in the printed Triple-M Register - 2010.

At 1150cc the car would not be an SVW?

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  17:31:48  Show Profile

Bob,

DPP 663 was originally registered in Buckinghamshire. There records 1921-48 are held by the Kithead Trust.

http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/

Perhaps they could offer further info.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  17:17:20  Show Profile
Hello Bob and your #1,
Bad news i'm afraid.
The chances of you getting the info you need are nil, zero, zilch.
This stuff is not issued to anyone like some sweets to a child.
however, there are ways and means. Say no more.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  19:49:59  Show Profile
SAS. Your unfortunate choice of language seems to imply that I am asking for drugs or state secrets.

I have some incidental information that the owner of DPP 663 might like.

It is not a matter of importance, merely of interest.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  10:06:01  Show Profile
Bob, Despite Sean's dire words of warning, the Kithead Trust's own website gives a rather different impression. They explain that in the case of pre-1939 cars any records would probably consist of a single record card which inevitably would contain fairly brief details of any car or owners. They also warn that as the Trust is run by volunteers, a delay in receiving a reply must be expected. It seems to me that it is simply a question at this stage of deciding whether to risk the £10 search fee, which in any case would be returned to you if no record can be found.

Could I also mention that Mike Hawke has compiled a detailed cross reference of MMM chassis numbers against registration numbers which he has been adding to over many, many years. I think that the information has come from magazine artices, letters and a myriad of other sources, and whilst is is comprehensive, it is by no means complete. I'm afraid that there is no mention of DPP 663 on this list.

Please let us know if you make any further prgress.

Cheers,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  12:31:41  Show Profile
Thanks for the reasoned summing-up, Colin. I have, of course consulted the Bucks. CC records and, having used the excellent but expensive Kithead Trust in the past, I was, indeed trying to economise, since the purpose is to transfer information freely.

As a vehicle historian, I use these sources. I have also learned not to trust the capacity listed on an RF.60 or, for that matter, on a V5 / V5C.

It struck me that, since the car apparently still exists, whatever type or capacity of MG it is, it might have been seen by a Triple-M owner.

The DVLA have done excellent searches for APP 186 and my MZ and Chummy - the Topolino doesn't need it since I know the history - but are not keen on doing this except for a vehicle owner.

If I were a clamping company, it seems, the DVLA would sell me any ownership data.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  03:02:29  Show Profile
Bob,

I am experiencing similar problems with PA 0921 - BPG 296.

Kithead Trust advises that the file was sent away for storage in October 1975 by Essex County Council. This seems to indicate that the last licensed owner was in Essex, and the car would probably have last been taxed in 1972 or 1973. And as Colin Butchers has explained “ ... any records would probably consist of a single record card which inevitably would contain fairly brief details of any car or owners. .. And that appears to be my case.

I know of only a single owner in the UK - a Mr. M. C. McKay who fortunately registered it with the MMM Register in 1964; so I have inherited a (fairly) low Register number - 392.

Somewhere between 1964 and 1986 the car was shipped to America and I know only the name of the chap who sold it to the chap I bought it from. The guy I bought it from, had it in a lock-up since 1986. I bought it in October of 2009. My original assessment was made in this frigid barn and once I got it home an dismantled it, I started to get surprises and now have to question my investment. However, I digress.

If anybody reading this can offer anything to “fill in the gaps”, I would be most grateful

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

unable to paste .jpeg
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  11:10:53  Show Profile
BPG 296 is, of course, Surrey 1934.

The 1921 - 45 Surrey records, including PG are listed in 'How to trace the History of your Car' by Philip Riden - a good primer on this sort of enquiry - as being 'At Droitwich Spa' ie. with the Kithead Trust. I take it that they have checked both for Surrey and Essex?

As an indication, my humble, four-cylinder car, PA 603, has a detailed but incomplete history. The original RF.60 brown log-book seems to have disappeared with P.A.C.Gillis in 1972 when a green VE.60 logbook was made out. The Kithead Trust has only a single card record for the transfer to M.W.T.Bullock who, happily, has very kindly provided full details of his ownership.

The DVLA will also produce photocopies of all previous owners known to them, a service which I have used with good results. Only for 'good reason' but 'researching the history of my car' has been sufficient, so far, as a reason.

Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AJ.

Tracing the owners before this has involved the welcome help of previous owners traced through the MMM Register, the vigilance of Bob Clare, much looking at Dan Margulies' 'Motor Sport' adverts, the records of The Halfway Garage c. 1959, and the son of the car's second owner, together with a genaeologist's expert help in tracing relatives of The White Hart Garage, High Wycombe, who maintained the car for its first three owners.

Six years so far and on-going.

So tracing the history can be a long and complex business.

Please remember that future owners may well be contacting all present MMM owners in your dotage asking for detailed information. So write it down before you sell.

Edited by - Bob Stringfield on 24/11/2010 12:06:02
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  18:30:39  Show Profile
Many thanks Bob, for your valued input.

Being overseas, makes it that much more difficult, starting with a 5 or 6 hour time difference; so that often takes phoning out of the equation.

So I have to rely on e-mail. I have a bro who's lived in London for 40 years, but he's not in the least interested (he's a big-time sailor), so it very much looks like I'll have to go it alone.

I hope that along the way, I can find someone who will hold my hand, but I'm going to start in the New Year.

Again. many thanks.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

unable to paste .jpeg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000