Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Weather Equipment
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  22:30:52  Show Profile
When I acquired my PA in 1972 it had the hood that met the side curtains without the triangular pieces. It was obviously old then, and in decent condition, but I had always assumed it was not original to the car after 38 years. It was used eventually as a partial pattern for the new hood, but now with the added pieces. Unfortunately, the trimmer did not return the old one to me.
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  21:01:20  Show Profile
My PA also had a one piece hood in 1957 when I bought it and I don't recall it having a double Lift the Dot stud in the second position whit it would have needed had the original hood been a three piece one.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  10:25:43  Show Profile
Interesting point, Maurice. Mine had a single length stud in that position as well, and when I bought it it had not had any major work done on the body. Unfortunately the dealer who sold me the car had dumped the mortal remains of the original hood.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  16:11:14  Show Profile
My PB (2 seater)has the original, unmodified, body and has an extra hole and ferrule identical to the side screen but located next to the door post. Since I had no side curtains I have taken advantage of this original (?) feature and made a frame to match the side screen and incorporated a window which gives much improved side visibility. Because it has a frame it can be used with the side screens but without the hood up and greatly reduces buffeting at cruising speeds.

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  18:40:08  Show Profile
Maurice & Colin, my car didn't have the double length "LtD" stud 2nd postion back from the B post which I guess is what you're talking about.
What she did have though was double length ones, one each side, I think second one in accross the back to accept webbing straps fore & aft over the frame.
I'm interested to note in Terry's beautiful photos what looks like a screw head near the end of the horizontal part of the rear hood bow suggesting the hood is attached to the frame.
Not knowing any better, when I got my Scottish hood all those years ago I ran said webbing straps from the screen to the rear of the body to position the frame bows & then threw the hood over it loose in the manner of a Frog Eye Sprite or an early MGB. I guess now that I should have attached it?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:11:39  Show Profile
The hood on PA 603 has no attachment to either the frame or hood frame. The 1940s photos of the car in 'wartime' RAF trim - deemed unsuitable for the Register's historical photo site - show, as all MGs should, a tonneau only.

1961 photos taken outside at Dan Margulies' premises show a well-worn hood with the triangular inserts and rectangular window, which hood was copied by Michael Tietze in his rebuild of the car.

It worked well in a cloudburst, on the one occasion when we used it, restricting side visibility and amplifying the rather loud exhaust ( which was remarked on in early Road-Tests ).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000