Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L-type mystery car
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  10:05:37  Show Profile
Perhaps anyone here can help and solve the mystery:

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/1932-mg-l-type-magna-mystery-014655.html

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  11:14:35  Show Profile
The car pictured in the larger picture is an F type with the very attractive Styles body. The Registration looks like FS3305 which does not appear in the printed 2010 Triple-M Register.

The second car is indeed an L 1, chassis L0507, which still exists and is shown in the Register. The car is stated to be ex. Continental Coupe and rebodied in the style of an L2 in 1999. Certainly the scuttle in the picture is non standard, there is neither a windscreen or holes drilled for the windscreen support brackets, so presumably the car had a special body at the time the picture was taken.

I hope the current owner sees the pictures!

George Eagle

Edited by - George Eagle on 24/11/2010 11:16:07
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  12:02:31  Show Profile
I disagree with George and suggest he gets his magnifying glass cleaned - the windscreen support holes can be clearly seen in the second photo and the scuttle is fitted with a single aero screen.

The body looks pretty standard to me especially around the scuttle area at behind the young man standing at the drivers door looks to be the standard L1 4 seater body shape over and behind the line of the rear wings.
Admittedly the scuttle does look a little different in profile over the top of the hoops - but this may be an optical illusion (it is an old photo) because the photo is taken from a low level.

The picture to me looks like early 70's - my guess is that the later conversion to 2 seater was because the 4 seater body was suffering like many of us with anno dominii.

The first picture is a Stiles F type I agree with George here certainly - the sage of such things (Please intercede Mr Bayne Powell) will confirm this for certain.
I will chat to the dear old Dad and see if he can remember why an L1 might have had aeroscreens but racing 4 seaters are famous in the register for their racing prowess.
Stephen Dear won the Mary Harris in a 4 seater F type!

The shame is now that 4 seaters are converted to look like their sexier 2 seater cousins and there are no racing 4 seaters left?
However having had a hand in the conversion of a former 4 seater to a racer I guess I should put my stones back on the ground and leave the glass house!

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  12:29:16  Show Profile
By the way George I wasnt having a pop !
I know that the camera (contrary to popular conception) does indeed tell lies.
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  16:21:32  Show Profile
I think David's windscreen holes are not windscreen holes, or not original ones... they appear to be too far forward. The humps seem to me to be the wrong shape, and the doors too, and shouldn't there be a join between the scuttle top and sides? I plump for a special body...

Don't our registrars hold a list of original registrations, etc, don't we know what chassis this was and what original bodywork? I would like to know which F chassis the Stiles is...

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 24/11/2010 16:40:11
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  17:14:58  Show Profile
Hi David

If you re-read my post this is an ex Contiental Coupe and not a 4 seater.

That scuttle is definately not standard L type and as has been pointed out by Peter there is no joint between the scuttle and body sides. I stand corrected on the holes for the windscreen support but these are in my opinion too far forward.

We agree to disagree.

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  16:29:19  Show Profile
I agree!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly