Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Sidelamp
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:33:31  Show Profile
For some time now I have been trying to identify the sidelamp notated on Blower's M Type wiring diagram as: sidelamp 1115.S
Can anyone help? thanks Rich

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:09:49  Show Profile
I might be missing a subtlety here, but aren't M type side lights designated Lucas 1130?

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:17:40  Show Profile
According to Blower, NO! the wiring diagram indicates 1115 S. sidelamps.I have been trying to research this for some time since the 1130 lamps do not sit nicely on the ridge of the wing.I also had a "strange" hole in my wing that didn't correspond to the 1130 hole configuration- Rich
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  13:11:20  Show Profile
Rich, the lamps are not meant to fit on the ridge but just outside. However, regarding Sam's pointing out that they are chromed, there is a works picture of a car with wings painted the same colour as the body and with white wheels, which clearly shows painted sidelamp bodies and with clear 'bullseye' glasses unlike the later frosted pattern. The car has front hinged doors and cable brakes so presumably 1930. If the 1115S Lucas lamps existed they must surely have been fitted to cars other than MG so perhaps we should be looking elsewhere?

Cheers,
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  14:41:59  Show Profile
Sam, as you say, there are pictures from what seems to be the same period which show both chromed and painted lamp bodies.
Do you have a good picture of the M prototypes? I only have the ones in the Profile to go on, but it looks to me as if the lamps have a much deeper plinth than usual,like about 1/2" ( or is it just my eyes!)

Cheers,
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  19:03:14  Show Profile
There are a couple of good photos that show the position of the sidelamps on production cars. I'm guessing Sam has them(?) but if not, I'll scan them and post them here. The first is one of those, what I believe to be publicity shots, of a car registered MG 1930 being fettled by a chap in plus 4s.. The second is a shot high from behind and above of a car registered WL 7171. Both these shots clearly show the sidelights (which appear to be painted black) set on the front wings to the outside of the central bead as Ian has mentioned.... The photos can be found on pages 11 and 20 of 'MG Road Cars Vol I'

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  00:13:15  Show Profile
Allow me to direct you guys to page 20 of the M-Type Parts List.

Part A 126.............1115S

Part 333 Packing ceased Chassis 2703

It also gives variations of the packing pieces used and the chassis numbers when they changed/ceased on the 2 seater and the Coupe.

Not being an M-Type owner I'll let you argue amongst yourselves.

I'm not sure what they are referring to when they say packing piece but it could be the plinth that raises the lamp body. ??

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 09/12/2010 00:59:27
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  09:26:16  Show Profile
Well spotted Brian! At least it demonstrates that 1115S appears not just on the wiring diagram but also on a parts list. I wonder where all the packing pieces went? Some cars appear to have raised lamps and others not, irrespective of date of manufacture.

In my manual it says 'Side-lamps'-The front of the wing lamps is secured by a small grub screw; when this is removed the front can be screwed out.' Could mean that the lens part had a thread of some kind?

All those I have, including the solid clear glass one, are the 'push in' type.

Ian

Edited by - Blue M on 09/12/2010 09:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  11:15:34  Show Profile
Sam, I can assure you that your photos and documents are very much appreciated.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  13:42:53  Show Profile
Many thanks to Sam for posting the picture of the chap in the plus fours. This is the other photo I mentioned. The sidelights can be clearly seen off centre and are what I 'm assuming to be black with chrome rims. I also think this is an early car with rear hung doors - in which case a long time before chassis no. 2703. The plot thickens!!

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  16:35:06  Show Profile
As far as I remember MG1930 was a real car - not a publicity shot.
It appeared a number of times in a book of prewar images - whose title I forget.
The chap had a daughter - called Kitty - I think who did a lot of events at the time, and the book was his photographic record. His surname began with a B - Brunell Brunet or ????

I forget a lot of things these days - but I am sure that one of our lot will produce the goods
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  16:37:50  Show Profile

In 1933, Miss Kitty Brunell became the first, and so far only, woman to win Britain's RAC Rally. She was driving a four-seater AC Ace sports car, the precursor to the AC Cobra. Several Aces made it to the finish that year, including a Mrs G Daniel in seventh place. She also won the Concours d'Elegance. In the same car, she entered the JCC’s Brooklands Rally. The results of this event have been lost, but she does not appear to have won. Fay Taylour won the Ladies’ Prize.

Kitty had been rallying since 1929, when she was second lady on the Monte Carlo Rally, behind Lucy O’Reilly Schell. She was driving a Talbot Six. Remarkably, she was only 17 years old at the time.

In 1932 she drove an MG on the Scottish Rally. She was competing in the Large Car class, but was disqualified for having her father as a passenger. Her car for that year’s RAC Rally was a Crossley. The result is unknown. Pictures of her exist which show her rallying a Ford Model A this year, but it is unclear which event this was.

In 1933, the same year as her RAC win, she used an Aston Martin on the Scottish event, again as part of the larger 1500cc and over class.

Her name disappears from the entry lists after 1933. She is known to have married a fellow competitor, Ken Hutchinson, at about this time, which may explain her absence. She was the daughter of motorsport photographer Bill Brunell.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  17:06:12  Show Profile
WL 7171 was Red and registered in Oxford 21 June 1929 to the MG Car Company and may therefore may be assumed to be a "works" car. It was used by Lewis Alfred Welch, amongst others, on the 1930 Edinburgh Trial gaining a Premier award.
MG 1930 was owned/borrowed by Mr. C. I. Robinson and used on the 1930 Exeter trial, being no. 141. See Light Car & Cycle Car p161.
Kitty Brunell was the daughter of W. J. Brunell the photographer, and the book was the "Golden Age of British Motoring" with many incorrect captions.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  17:25:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

Also with regard to " I'll let you argue amongst yourselves" I see this simply as a sharing of evidence and it is evidence which speaks for itself - I cannot detect anything to argue about only to share evidence and speculate on.I do feel quite lonely in general when it comes to sharing photos and documents.

Sam

Greetings, Sam,

I'm assuming that you missed the Clown's (read Jester's) smilin' face directly after the line in question.

Therefore; here's a few more for you.

Enjoy.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  19:40:23  Show Profile

Sam,

I'd also like to point out that I would have copied the details from the parts list but I was viewing the information via the Heritage Motor Centre's tech publications on CD-Rom. This doesn't facilitate the copying feature.

However, it did read as I wrote:

Part number A126. Description 1115S. (The part number being MG's.)

I was only trying to lead others to the location of the material details. The CD-Rom has a wealth of information and every good home should have one. Especially for the available price of 17.5 pounds.
Especially when it covers all basic MMM models.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000