Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Finding chassis number from registration mark
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  10:52:47  Show Profile
I've been trying to trace my MG TC, sold to an American in 1965, through the T Type forum, but all I have is the British registration number - no chassis or engine number. So far the T Register has been unable to help, and the only response from the Forum was a suggestion to try to get the chassis number by tracing the original UK registration.

Does anyone know how to go about this, please?

I realise this is technically non-MMM, but the info would apply to MMMs as much as to T Types, and, frankly, this forum is far more active !

Colin.

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  12:16:55  Show Profile
Hello Colin,
Firstly, if you could give the registration number i may be able to put you on the right tracks.
Any and all additional info you have will be a bonus however irrelevant it may seem. When did you buy this TC.
You say it was sold to an American. But was he here as a serviceman or on business or over the pond, ie did the car go straight to the USA or remain in the UK. It could also have been exported to virtually any Country anywhere, some people move about a lot.
You rightly point out that this dilemma could affect any one irrespective of make or model of car and also from any era.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  13:12:11  Show Profile
Check the available records for the number through one of the standard reference sources, such as Philip Riden's 'How to Tract the History of your Car' or any of the lists of numbers printed in Insurance / Registration publications or the 'Glass's Guides' of the era.

If you Email me with the registration, I will be happy to see what there is, since I have the above sources.

Following that, the process may become simple or much more complicated! Again, I can advise.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  11:20:23  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the offers of help. The car was green when I bought it in Giffnock, Glasgow in 1965, reg DSR 646 (Angus CC), from Richard Whitmore, I think. I was living at 22 Eastwoodmains Road, Giffnock at that time, which is a suburb of Glasgow, but technically part of Renfrewshire, so I presume it was registered in Renfrewshire at that time. It was resprayed dark blue when I sold it about a year later to Major Robert Smith, a desk-bound lawyer based in W Germany at that time. He took it initially back to W. Germany (I remember this because he had to have the sale notarised by a Notary Public to satisfy the German import authorities), and I assume thereafter to the US, but I do not know that.

That's about as much detail as I can remember. Any help most gratefully received.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  19:49:55  Show Profile

Hi Colin,

You didn't mention the year of manufacture of the TC.

Philip Riden's book, "How to trace the history of your car" states that the records for Angus are held in two places.

1903-74 Dundee City Archives,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=251

The Kithead Trust holds records for 1921-48

http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/vehicle_records_5.html

You never know your luck.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  19:59:53  Show Profile
In the event the TC is still in the US, you may want to check with the New England MG T Register. (www.nemgtr.org). This assumes, of course, that you are able to provide the chassis number.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  15:15:57  Show Profile
Brian, thanks for that. I've emailed the archivist, and got a phone call back within a few hours. Sorry Lew, still no chassis number. It had been my intention to contact the NEMGTR, but I realise this is hopeless without the chassis number.

I now have the following info: Registered by GA Ross & Co Garage, Friockheim, Angus on 6 November 1946. That's all that is available from the Archives of Angus County. Having checked the Kithead Trust website, I don't think that they will be able to add to that.

Is it possible that the MGCC will be able to locate a chassis file from the date of first registration? If so, whom do I contact?

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  16:41:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LewPalmer

Colin,

I can't speak for the TCs, but in most cases the Triple-M records list the selling dealer. Since we know the car was manufactured something before 6 November 1946, there will be relatively few cars sold by that dealer around that time. Thus, if the TC records list the selling dealer, it should be fairly easy to search the files for that dealer at that time and come up with a matching chassis number.

Contact with the TC registrar (it used to be Stuart Penfound in Brighton) might give you access to those files.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  18:51:01  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the 'T' Regsiter is not blessed with the records which the Triple-M Register is fortunate to have. The Triple-M records were saved from the skip but the 'T's and Y's weren't.

The only records held from The Factory are the Production Records, which list Chassis number, Engine number and date of production.

The Register of cars lists all known surviving TCs (getting on for 50% of production) and in some cases previous owners are listed.

Colin's chassis number would have been in the range TC1504 to TC1750 with the likelihood that it would have been towards the end of this range.

I doubt if Stewart Penfound will be able to help, but you could try him at stewart.penfound@btinternet.com

JOHN JAMES http://ttypes.org
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  23:05:17  Show Profile
Thanks Lew and John.

Following the suggestions on this thread I've made some progress, and we now seem to have narrowed the chassis number down to a range of about 250.

I'll pass the info on to Stewart Penfound and see if he can advance matters.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000