Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Removal of modern yellow and silver coloured plati
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  17:03:35  Show Profile
In the Octagon Car Club Magazine about 2-3 years ago, someone wrote about the removal of yellow and silver coloured plating. The plating was removed using commonly available liquid / s, similar to using Coke to clean up brass. Does anybody know what the process is to do this? Or can anyone suggest anything. I want to get back to the steel on some new items with the yellow plating so that I can try out a Nickel plating kit.

Thanks…. Terry

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  20:09:24  Show Profile
Terry,
Don't know what will remove it, but a word of caution. That kind of plating is often Cadmium Plating, used for many years in the automotive and aerospace industries. It has now been banned from use by the Health and Safety boys as it is a poison in dust or fume form, eg when sanded, heated or burned.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  21:26:18  Show Profile
Terry,
It is probably zinc plating and is removed very easily by submerging in sulphuric acid, that is the way I do it with new nuts and bolts.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  10:48:17  Show Profile
Hi,

I do not want to remove Cadmium plating as I can recognize this and as you say it has been banned for many years now. The liquid I am looking for is not sulphuric acid. From memory it was using something like GUNK parts cleaner or something along these lines. The product my well have sulphuric acid as part of the formula but it strips the silver coating that replaced Cadmium and the yellow modern plating stuff. So anyone out there with an index for the Octagon Car Club magazine find it for me please…..Thanks…. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  11:33:31  Show Profile
Terry,
Is the product you are thinking of ALTRANS which is now known as SWARFEGA METAL CLEANER AND RESTORER? This is what I use for derusting. It is basically Ortho Phosphoric Acid which I think is the active ingredient of mamy descaling products and is not as hasty as sulphuric.. I suggested sulphuric acid because it is easy to get hold of from old batteries and works very quickly.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  16:54:31  Show Profile
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the information this is just what I wanted. I was not too happy to use Sulphuric acid in my current state. Also I knew that I could use the “product” for other things. Thanks for your help…. Regards…. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  19:01:10  Show Profile
Cadmium plating is still allowed and used in the aircraft industry and MOD applications. Those companies with the licence to do so typically use a closed loop plating process.

Cadmium plating of steel components more or less eliminiates the galvanic corrosion that would otherwise occur when in contact with aluminium - quite important in an aeroplane!

John R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000