Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Book
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  21:50:12  Show Profile
At long last I have finished version 1 of my book, Triple-M Electrics. I have decided to provide it free of charge in electronic format (Adobe Acrobat .pdf). The file is just under 5Mb in size, contains 72 pages and around 11,000 words lots of diagrams and some photographs.

If you would like a copy, please send me an email to (nfeakes@hotmail.com), your email account must be able to accept a 5Mb attachment.
Nick

DavidK

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  00:11:29  Show Profile
Nick,

I have just finished reading your "Triple-M Electrics" and it is a fantastic resource for those of us not skilled in - electrickery!
It will help me keep the "smoke" in my circuits. I shall use several of your modifications in my PA rebuild.
Thank you for sharing your expertise in such an easily readable form.

David Kenny

PA2038
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  09:28:00  Show Profile
Will a paper version be available? thanks ,Rich
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  14:23:13  Show Profile
Hi Rich
To keep the cost (0!) down, I decided to make the book available only in electronic format. If you want a paper version then I suggest either you print it yourself (that is what I did) or if you transfer the file onto a flash drive (very cheap to buy if you do not already own one) and take it to your local print shop, they will print it and bind it for you.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  15:09:21  Show Profile
Nick,

You have done a brilliant job with the PDF of MMM electrics.
I find it better than having a complete printed and bound version . I can just print off the page I need and take it in the garage, without getting grubby marks on every page just flicking through to find the bit I want.
Well done.

Fred…
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  19:45:10  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

Allow me to add my congratulations to the queue.

I will be adding some comments shortly, nothing too drastic just small additions to improve things. A typical one might be to your section on the SU pump. One of the common reasons for the pump failing to operate after a winter's layoff is mechanical, not electrical. Some diaphragm constructions stiffen quite a lot if they are allowed to dry out, and since the pump on our cars is close to the highest point of the fuel system, this is liable to happen on long inaction. This stiffening can be enough to prevent the pump from pulling in. The standard bang with the heel of the fist also overcomes this fault, besides possibly restoring or breaking a faulty electrical contact.

A tip that I was given years ago to alleviate this is to pump a strong mixture of some upper cylinder lubricant (Redex) through as part of your laying up routine and allow it to remain in the pump. Since we are all supposed to emptying our tanks of fuel before layups (to avoid the alcohol content absorbing moisture and causing corrosion) this might be easier to do these days. The only snag that I know of about this tip is that your first start up will be accompanied by a very large cloud of blue smoke.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  20:33:32  Show Profile
Hi Andrew
Thank you for the kind words. More than willing to receive corrections and revisions but I made the decision (to keep the job within manageable proportions) to stick fairly rigidly to the electrical aspects of our cars rather than be a complete guide to the overhaul of each component, i.e. mechanical & electrical. Of course, if you would like to write a companion book I would be more than willing to create a composite from the two.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  23:24:38  Show Profile
Hello Nick,
Very many thanks for emailing your book about Triple-M Electrics. Excellent and really useful with much practical help.
Thanks for taking the time to put pen to paper.
John R
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  00:13:26  Show Profile
Following on from my reply to Andrew,s post, it occurred to me that it could be a great idea. If one person (or group) took on the task of writing about the overhaul and or adjustment of a single item e.g. SU fuel pump, Petrolift, SU carburetor, distributor, valves, etc with different sections if there are significant differences between the models. Complete that with a collection of photographs of cars considered to be as per an original car (might be hard to get a consensus on those?). Put all that lot together and we would have a really valuable MMM reference work.
Imagine what a valuable work it would be for the next generation of custodians?
Any thoughts out there?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  04:27:23  Show Profile
A lot has already been written. However, much knowledge and wisdon is in past issues of the Infoletter and Yearbook. Although a few years old, there is an index of many such articles compiled by Pat Mullen on the North American Triple-M Register website at: http://sites.google.com/site/mgnammmr/library/technical-index-2003

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  13:52:07  Show Profile
Hi Lew
Great idea, it might be possible to get permission to use the past yearbook articles as a starting point particularly as my intention is to try and reduce the re-inventing of the wheel.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  17:44:12  Show Profile
Thanks Nick, for the fantastic work you have done! Easy and enjoyable to read!

Many thanks!
Jan Widung
PB0635
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000