Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Early MGCC badge???
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  16:52:07  Show Profile
Can anybody confirm if this is an early MGCC badge? It can be seen that the main part of the badge is brass (or bronze) ie the part that is chrome on modern ones. Also the method of fixing is different with a central 1/4 BSF tapped hole at the bottom instead of the two lugs attached to the back of modern ones. Any info would be appreciated.

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  18:33:56  Show Profile
Hi Steve
I took the liberty of editing your post to display the picture correctly. The link to the image must be placed between the image placeholders, i.e. {img} HERE {/img} The real tags use square brackets, not curly ones.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  18:54:32  Show Profile
Talking about old MGCC badges,
any idea, up to which year was the badge below the MGCC badge ?
(The photo of Roy Marsh's car is from Safety Fast Feb. 1962)
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  21:23:27  Show Profile
Steve,

I have one of these badges. It has a number on the back (3300), which was probably a membership number. It is thought to date from about 1936.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  19:57:10  Show Profile
Thanks for that John, I was beginning to think I had BO or something! There are no numbers on the back of mine, unfortunately.

Steve.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  18:37:43  Show Profile
Steve,
in the fascinating book of Michael Ellman-Brown "MG COLLECTIBLES" are samples of MG Car Club badges.
The only two which come close to yours are the two on the photo below, as they have the rear mounting stems.
The difference between the late pre-war and the early post-war seem to be the length of those rear mounting stems.
Have a look which of the two comes close to yours, although on yours the tip at bottom is not there. Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  10:58:01  Show Profile
Thanks for that, Gerhard, it would appear that mine is the early post-war one as the mounting stem is the longer one of the two. You are right about the missing tip on the bottom - somebody has filed it off in the past to mount it on a flat surface - on top of the starting handle aperture actually. My car came with it fixed in this position, so I guess it had been there for twenty odd years! - I acquired the car in 1969. Thanks again.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000