Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Sidelamps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  03:58:02  Show Profile
According to the old Pre-War MG Centre catalog, the early chassis numbers (before PA1200 or so) used the round style sidelights while after that the octagonal sideligts were used. The PA/PB Parts List doesn't distinguish between them only listing part number A548.

Can anyone confirm that the round style was used on the earlier PAs?

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  08:57:26  Show Profile
Lew,

The only "official" info I have is from the same source as you. When I bought my car she had Lucas 1130s & I intended to replace them. Armed though with Barry's info & with the chassis no 0568 I've decided to keep them.

In the same vein she has the J2 type door latches & again I understand that is correct for the early cars; "use up what's in the bin".

Dave

PS My parts list is a facsimile but claims on the title page to be "Revised September 1946". It may well be that an original 1934 one showed a different number?

Edited by - Oz34 on 08/03/2011 09:01:43
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:18:16  Show Profile
My PA was unrestored when bought, and had octagonal sidelights, with very little chrome left, so believed original (they're still on it now, and with even less chrome). I'm not sure what J2 door latches look like, but mine have the cut out on the striker bar, and most I have seen on P types have no cut out. This I think supports Dave's theory of "use up what's in the bin".

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:42:57  Show Profile
Hi Lew,

I can only confirm that PA 0397 has round Lucas 1130 side lights and as far as I know they are original, their chrome is definitely spotty enough!

Regards, Alan
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  12:16:56  Show Profile
PA 519, Octagonal sidelights that looked original ( I later had them rechromed.) The door locks were not original, and I retro fitted the early type. I really believe that it is impossible to sort these issues out since a replacement done in the late thirties or forties would have, by even the mid to late fifties, appeared to have been worn and old, therefor orginal? It is fun to discuss the possibilities, but in the end these details can never be settled accurately.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:32:14  Show Profile
My PA (bought in 1954!), chassis no 0437, had octagonal side lamps. However, it was not a factory-bodied car (probably imported into Oz in chassis form and the very attractive body, the best local body on an MG I have seen, was built here). The car, now a superb restoration with a factory-looking body, still exists and probably always will! Perhaps the side lamps, imported from the UK in the course of building the body, had already changed to the round type?
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:33:29  Show Profile
Sorry, I meant to say "from the round type".
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:48:21  Show Profile
just for interest my J, J3485, has P type firewall brackets though the oil pipes are led in the normal J type fashion. I presume all these bits overlapped each other in the factory as the cars developed.

P
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  01:44:31  Show Profile
Let the comments continue. My PA1169 came with round sidelights, but the car was only partially assembled and sat for 25 years after the owner/restorer died. So I'm not sure whether I have the originals to that car or simply an odd pair the owner picked up. I would be interested to do a survey on PA sidelamps, so keeps those cards and letters coming. <grin>

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  22:18:11  Show Profile
Hi guys,
my PA #1816, last on the road in the year 1962, has the round Lucas sidelamps.

Regards
manfred
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  08:09:14  Show Profile
I was not aware that P-types ever had round side lights. Perhaps they were fitted later by owners who wanted their cars to look like later models (eg TA's or TC's)? So much was altered on these cars, even back in the 1930's, that I think it is impossible to take note of any features that are on them now?
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:46:34  Show Profile
Pictures in Mike Allison's books, I assume of pre or at least early production cars, seem to show octagonal lights. Brookland's books 'MG Cars in the thirties' has a drawing of a P when it was announced which shows round sidelights, while the Magnette introduction later that month shows octagonal lights. So they were presumably they were in the pipeline...

If I were buying a P type new, I would have noticed if an attractive feature like that was missing...

For what its worth, my car had Austin 7 sidelights held together with insulating tape when I bought it!

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  10:18:16  Show Profile
Hi all,

I always understood that the octagonal lights were provided for all Magnettes from 1934, ie starting with NA and KN, and for de luxe spec Midgets. My information came from Tom Viner, who was the line inspector in 1934, and Deputy Chief Inspector when I joined Reg Jackson's team in 1965. He almost certainly knew what he was talking about!

Once available, no doubt owners fitted them retrospectively to other cars, including earlier models.

In the final analysis, what does it matter, finish the car, and meet us at one of the meetings THIS year!

All the best,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  10:16:24  Show Profile
Hi, I agree with Mike on this one. The prototype pictures show round side lights and J2 door locks. Back in the late 1970’s Haden Rogers acquired the 2nd or 3rd production P type car which had the same fittings as the prototype pictures. However, I had the opportunity to view many early cars and I believe that the Octagon side lights were the general standard production item. As you know the factory could run out of item and use another replacement. Just to add another point after the first week of production the factory moved away from J2 practice and went over to silver wheels as standard……(You could pay extra for anything thought!) Regards….. Terry

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000