Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 King Farouk!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  16:15:23  Show Profile
An excellent lecture on Alexandria last night contained a photo of King Farouk in a 4 seater P Type MG (poss N or K but I think a P. Usual photo, no front and no back, so no real identification available...) looked like a single tone light coloured car. I have found mention of a car museum in Cairo containing some of his cars, do we know if this might be amongst them. His Austin 7 went, apparently, to Beirut, and one can only hope that it survived the more recent upheavals there, when looking after vintage cars would not have been top of people's priority lists.

One for the archivists!

The photo is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29633143@N05/2786824394/

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 28/03/2011 20:09:52

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  17:28:20  Show Profile
Guess he approved of the Bactrian scuttle
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  03:52:32  Show Profile

Peter.

Presumably the photo was taken when the car was new in '34-35 (?).
The photos that were taken of King Farouk in Paris in 1954 show
a remarkable change in his appearence, lets hope the P-Type fared
better.

Shukran.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  09:54:22  Show Profile
I cannot recall the King as one of the owners of a P-type, but that is what it is, and a four-seater too, possibly thought to be less racy for the royal client?? The colour I suggest is possibly red, and it was two tone, look at the darker wings. Midgets did not have the top half of the body a different shade from the bottom... they had darker wings and front apron: current restorers please note!

Best wishes,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  10:33:03  Show Profile
Mike with respect I think the standard two tone colour scheme on the J, P, L2 etc had the front cowl in the lighter body colour i.e. it was only the wings that were in the darker shade. It may have varied on other models I am not sure.
Regards

TH
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  11:36:37  Show Profile
I think that Farouk was born in 1920 so I doubt the car was new (although it looks it!) when the photo was taken. Perhaps a bit later in the 1930's? I seem to remember another photo of him sitting in (probably) the same car. In latter years he led a "flamboyant" (not my term but that of his autobiographer!) and put on weight. He died in 1965 I think. Going by the silver wheels it must have been a PB? Or maybe they were repainted to make the car look later?
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  11:37:47  Show Profile
Sorry, I should have said "biographer"!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  09:40:19  Show Profile

The PA had silver wheels from quite early in the production run; no doubt an expert can tell us when.

A single colour for most wheels - special orders excepted - would have been a useful production economy for the company.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000