Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Driving a J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  15:01:10  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I just bought a J2 and I took it for my first drive. Seems like a great, fun car, but I had some questions about driving it. When shifting gears, should it make noise going into the gears? It's not exactly a grinding sound, but does make noise.

The car was restored, so it's essentially brand new.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  17:58:32  Show Profile

Welcome to the world of MMM cars.

First question; Are you double-declutching on both up and down-shifts?
Go to Top of Page

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  18:21:39  Show Profile
No, I've only double-clutched on a downshift to 2nd. Seems like I should always double-clucth?
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:02:14  Show Profile
Yes the MMM cars have non syncro gear boxes so double-declutch is the way to go.

You say it is restored so "brand new"
But please remember it is an 80 year old car!

Restoration still uses most original parts and does not mean casting's chassis and other reused and refurbished parts are as new.
They have 80 years of fatigue life under their belt.

Have fun with and respect for the car.

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  01:30:40  Show Profile
Gear-changing is one of the challenges in driving old cars. Changing up should not be a problem once you get used to the car but down changes are a totally different matter. I have found double-declutching is mandatory (even this is not always successful). "Practice" is probably the answer!
Go to Top of Page

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  02:23:04  Show Profile
Ok thanks. As long as I don't break the car as I'm practicing!! Again, it's not hard grinding, just noisy.
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  08:35:10  Show Profile
Matt, have a read here: http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=958&SearchTerms=double br /

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 09/04/2011 08:36:28
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  10:32:19  Show Profile
Hi Matt

Can you tell me which car you have purchased please, so I can ensure the register records are up to date.

Many thanks

Robin Hamblett
MMM Registrar
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  17:18:34  Show Profile
Hi Matt,
As you can see, even a straight forward act such as shifting a triple M car results in several different opinions. Here is my experience.
On our M type with the optional 4 speed, no need to double clutch moving up, but absolutely necessary in down shifting ( press the clutch, put the car in neutral,release the clutch, blip the gas to raise the rpm ,then depress clutch, down shift, release clutch. it takes practice)

On the PA it is different going up. It requires a double clutch up into second as well, but you don't raise the rpm. Accelerate in first,then take your foot off the gas, depress clutch, shift into neutral, (foot still off gas), release clutch in neutral and then press the clutch again (no gas) , shift into second release clutch and accelerate. This can be done very quickly,it allows the engine to drop the rpm without having to count to seven as suggested by others. Going to third and fouth on my car doesn't require a double shift, just pause a second before selecting the next highest gear. Down shifting is the same as the M, double clutch each time.

I believe there is great variations in this procedure, all I know is this works well for me and usually results in a non grinding shift (I said usually). Practice, practice practice!

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  19:41:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hamblett

Hi Matt

Can you tell me which car you have purchased please, so I can ensure the register records are up to date.

Many thanks

Robin Hamblett
MMM Registrar

Hi Robin,

It's J3130. It's been restored to the original color combo of Black with Brown leather and cream wheels. Do you need a picture?

Thanks,

Matt
Go to Top of Page

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  19:47:56  Show Profile
Thanks for all the responses guys. Seems that my generator is quitting out on me for some reason - so once I get that resolved I'll be back on the road trying to learn how to drive this thing properly.

Edited by - trainsimple on 10/04/2011 20:21:39
Go to Top of Page

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:02:06  Show Profile
So I've been practicing and the more I concentrate on my shifting the worse it is. To the point where I can't get it into 2nd. When shifting up, should I try to have a fairly high engine speed? I haven't worried about down shifting yet .. just been putting it into neutral when stopping.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  22:06:37  Show Profile
The principle is that the engine speed (revs/minute) should match the road speed in the chosen gear. So at 10mph the engine speed in First gear is "high" but in say 3rd gear the engine speed is low.

Going from 1st to second means the engine speed will NEED to fall (not increase !) for all the cogs to meet each other and engage

Conversely going from 2nd to 1st means you need to increase the RPM for a given speed for the cogs to meet and engage.

If you think that we can fairly easily alter the RPM when in neutral or with the clutch disengaging the engime from the gearbox but we cannot really alter (on a second by second basis at least) the speed the wheels/differential/prop-shaft is moving so for smooth changes we must get the engine RPM to match the road speed in any particular gear ............. which is where I began !!

Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  22:34:59  Show Profile
Matt said "When shifting up, should I try to have a fairly high engine speed?"

No, just the opposite ,the engine speed should fall. On my PA the rpm fall to about 2000 or so when I shift into 2nd. I do as I explained before shift into neutal first and double clutch.I usually get out of first between 3500 and 4000 rpm. and then double clutch with the engine speed dropping to about 2000. Works for me.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

philcoombs

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  12:10:21  Show Profile
Matt
I have an extract from an M Type Instruction Manual on "How to change gear", written in plain English with presumably those who might not have driven before in mind, which I can send you if you would like. I have sent you a separate e-mail asking for your e-mail address.
Phil Coombs
Go to Top of Page

trainsimple

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  16:16:49  Show Profile
Ok, so I'm getting the upshifts. Just a slight noise in 2nd, nothing in 3rd or 4th. I can't downshift into 2nd to save my life. This could pose a problem when driving in more traffic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000