Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Front body panel Screws P Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  15:06:47  Show Profile
[I have just received my repanelled PA body, complete with new front panel, back from Steve Gilbert and am about to install the nine round headed screws which attach the front panel to the frame. I am puzzled by the fact that the screws are not symmetrically positioned. A photograph posted some time ago by Eric Taylor also shows them positioned in a similar asymmetric pattern and Brian Watson has said that the three panels he has all have eight of them in the same positions but doesn’t say whether they are also asymmetric. Does anyone know the reason for the asymmetric positioning? I had initially assumed that the positioning was at the whim of the person who drilled the holes as in at least one other instance on these cars.
Also, can someone please tell me which hole is the one for the petrol tap operating rod, is it the 5/16" diameter one about 2 1/2" from the top and 4 1/2" from the side?
Maurice Blakey.
img][/img]

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  17:42:23  Show Profile
Maurice, for the fuel change-over tap rod through the body tub scuttle front panel, does this photo help (Keith Leaver's PB 0522):

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  20:54:52  Show Profile
Thank you Brian and Bruce. I have positioned my screws as they were with the original panel.
From Bruce's photograph the fuel tap rod appears to run towards the centre of the car in plan view, what does it do in side elevation, is it horizontal?
This photograph also shows a smsll side panel by the accelerator pedal which is also shown on a photograph of Bruce's PB during strip. Is this an original fitment on P Types? My PA didn't have them but then it was a much messed about car.
Another question whilst talking about this part of the car. Should the aluminium T section be painted or not?

Maurice.

Edited by - Cymber on 11/06/2011 20:58:14
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  10:42:57  Show Profile
The side panel to stop your foot catching on the bonnet clip is original. Mine still had remnants of the original Rexine on it when I got the car from its near-original owners (from 1937). Protects from the danger of getting the throttle jammed full on (ask Carol Cooper).

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:32:58  Show Profile
As your's was original Colin, what then was it made of, under the Rexine?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  09:45:12  Show Profile
1/8" x 3 ply plywood - it still is, but the Rexine has long gone.

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  09:49:29  Show Profile
Many thanks Colin,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:32:49  Show Profile
It was a common mod to bend the accelerator pedal to the right to provide more room around the brake pedal for those with larger feet than Cecil Kimber.

The panel was either modified or discarded. The LH one often remained in place.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:39:44  Show Profile
Someone bent my brake pedal to the right! I think he'd been catching his size 11s on the steering column but it didn't do much for my accelerating. I've got a straight one now.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000