Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A bit of a cheek.....
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  19:40:21  Show Profile
Was I just hallucinating on Sunday at Silverstone (beer or the heat, I have no idea), but did anyone else clock the modern kit car that sneaked into the MMM line up outside the main marquee? It even had advertising flyers spread out over it. It was there all day & being terribly British, we all seemed to pretend it wasn't there.
You can't help but admire the cheek of the guy (even "borrowed" the name from a particularly revered British motorcycle).

Confused? I am, I thought there were trade stands for that sort of thing!

JH

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2011 :  17:58:44  Show Profile
Just for clarification, the kit-car that sneaked in wasn't mine ! Mine is a bright red coupe and very wisely I left it at home. I did notice the little green beast - badged as a "Vanguard" and based loosely on a Riley Imp. Don't know what was under the bonnet. I didn't get that close to it, in case I was observed by the die-hards.

Colin B.

PS. What a great tour - ending with a truly great week-end.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  09:12:51  Show Profile
Jezz

Wasnt a Vangaurd a motor car (of sorts) built in Coventry?
I saw the thing out of the corner of my eye on Saturday - it wasnt very attractive in my opinion and certainly should have been ignored!

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  09:40:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by David Allison

Jezz

..... I saw the thing out of the corner of my eye on Saturday - it wasnt very attractive in my opinion and certainly should have been ignored!

Regards David

Or removed to make space for genuine MMM cars, which struggled to find somewhere to park after the parade lap.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  12:08:46  Show Profile
How True!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  13:25:19  Show Profile
I admit I sneaked closer look (whilst being distracted by the rather nice J2 that it was parked next to). It was a Vincent MPH, which hides behind a Riley style radiator (complete with diamond shaped badge) & seemed to have a fair bit of MGB in it, although the exhaust emerged under the offside wing (sorry, "right" - before we all get confused again), seemingly dating from the mid 1980's.

Seeing as it should have been directed to "Non MG Parking" before it even crossed the bridge, yet sucessfully bypassed several marshalls to get where it did, perhaps we all need to do a bit more "Missionary Work" within the wider club so cheeky chaps like this get spotted on the way in. After all there's 80+ years of production and yet we're just a very small part of it (allbeit the most important part)!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  11:27:52  Show Profile
Well, I must be getting old: didn't see it at all... but then I can drive down the road and not notice another car unless it is a. an MG, or b. a pre-war car.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  11:54:50  Show Profile
Some years ago (the fiftieth anniversary of the TC?) someone arrived with a "special" made up out of an upside-down Singer chassis, MGB running gear and a repro TC radiator shell up front. He did not want to accept that he couldn't park with the TC's and finished up parking nearby (and is in the aerial photo!). Incidentally I think that it was a world record, we had about 130 TC's assembled that day! Yes, little old Adelaide (actually on the sporting oval of a nearby country town)!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000