Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Myford
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  21:16:08  Show Profile
Myford have announced today that they are having a 'Grand Clearance sale' of lathes, spares and production machinery. The sale takes place this coming week-end. See http://www.myford.com/

A sad day as another British machine tool manufacturer disappears.

Peter ML7 user

Edited by - Peter Scott on 14/07/2011 14:54:16

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  10:57:46  Show Profile
A sad day indeed.

I wonder how many of us have a Myford lathe in the workshop - I have an ML7.

I suppose it is the cheap imports of machine tools which have caused Myford's sad demise.

George
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  11:18:44  Show Profile
I also have a ML7.
I paid £250.00 for it about 5 years ago and has more than paid for it self making up bits for my cars.
This is just another blow for British industries.

Fred.
Go to Top of Page

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  15:19:10  Show Profile
Very sad news.

I have a Super 7B, and have never regretted buying it.

Cheap Chinese imports are part of the reason for Myford's demise, but maybe the real problem is that few people these days seem to have any interest in making/repairing things.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  18:58:28  Show Profile
The rot started when schools dropped practical metalwork / woodwork / domestic science in favour of theory-based lessons, propelled by cost and 'elf 'n safety.

More computer suites were the trendy solution.

I bought the contents of the labs at a school at which I worked; the Authority policy was to scrap it all. A reluctant profiteer.

The grandsons love my workshop where metal changes shape and things go round.

No chance of this at school.

No future for MMM cars as a result?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
404 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  20:57:27  Show Profile
I inherited my father's ML7 which he bought soon after he was de-mobbed in 1946. According to my late mother the choice lay between buying curtains for their flat or purchasing a Myford lathe. They managed without curtains.

I learned to use the ML7 when I was young enough to need to stand on a box to reach. Using it today brings back many happy memories of working with my father on model engineering projects in his home workshop. Such is the high quality of manufacture that the lathe still functions perfectly despite years of use and abuse.

How sad to hear that Myford has reached the end of the line.

Nigel

Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  14:32:58  Show Profile
Unfortunately Myford like much of British Industry relied upon name and quality being enough to ensure survival.
In truth the "Cheap Chinese Imports" are not to blame - it is the complacency of management and workers to recognise that it is now a global market.

Within the global marketplace the thing which influences most is price.
Also in Britain we as a people are too accepting of buying cheap when it suits us and complaining when the cheap stuff breaks - but refusing to pay more for quality.

If "Cheap Chinese Imports" are so unacceptable why in that case did we buy them? - because they were affordable is the best answer!

Myford lathes were very good - however they did not justify the premium demanded to deliver the product to the marketplace.
The products available from China, India amongst other countries in the developing world are in fact renowned for their quality (in a good way) and you do with this equipment get what you pay for - the budget versions of this product are not very good but the proffessional version is every bit as good as the Myford but 1/2 the price.

I learned my machining on a Colchester (still in business just) and a Myford - these products were old and worn out but still servicable.
Herein lies another problem with our manufacturing industry - factories in Europe which I visit on business seldom have equipment more than 5 years old in use - yet in factories in the UK, equipment is seldom newer than 20 years old.

We do not as a country re-invest - we are complacent and live in the past.

It is a shame but unless we invest in our future there will be no future!

Regards David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000