Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lost in Space
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  16:22:02  Show Profile
My computer has decided to erase most of my inbox whiles compressing files over the weekend. Today a friend sent me a link from Microsoft how to correct the problem. I carried out the instructions and now I have no emails anywhere. So the rest of my sent messages have gone and the individual folders from people who may want parts from me. So this is a message in a way of an apology. If you do not get a reply from me it is because I have lost ALL my emails….. Terry

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  22:18:20  Show Profile
Terry,

I know this is no help in trying to retrieve your lost emails but for the future it might be worth using a web based email such as gmail that you can use to pick up your mail from whatever email provider you have. That way your email address stays the same but all of your emails are kept on the google servers. Of course there's always a risk that they can have problems too, but the odds are pretty small. I've been using this system for my personal work email account and have some 4000 emails from the last four years all readily accessible should I need them.

Hope you can get yours back OK.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 19/07/2011 22:44:57
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  10:13:54  Show Profile
Hello Terry

I think you possibly have btinternet as your e-mail provider,so it may be possible that your entire e-mail traffic and maybe also your contacts, diary etc. can be recovered from their main servers?

Also, depending on what sort of e-mail software you use, (I use MS Outlook 2003) and also what manual or automated backup utility you have on your computer, you may be able to recover the lost e-mail history complete! It usually resides in a file called (perhaps) Outlook.pst so it would be well worth searching your computer (and/or any external hard drives that you use for a backup) for a .pst file.

The file is typically found in the following location:
C:\Users\Terry's computer name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Depending on which operating system your computer has you can to do this by searching for *.pst and if the file exists you can select it and then restore it. The following link gives some helpfulguidance about how to do so. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

Good luck!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000