Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type GX 1389
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

halshaw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  10:28:22  Show Profile
HI

I am trying to fill in some gaps with my M type, and wonder if anyone remembers the car GX 1389 in the 1950's (or even before). It was in Edinburgh from about 1960 for about 20 years, and I have had great help from previous owners covering that period.

You never know...........

Thanks

David

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3245 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  10:34:51  Show Profile
Hello David

You may not know that the MGCC keep the original chassis files and that you can obtain a copy from John Innes, there is a small fee.

A few files are missing but hopefully the one for your cr survives!

Regards

George
Go to Top of Page

halshaw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  11:41:17  Show Profile
Many thanks George. How do I contact John Innes - I had a look on the MGCC contacts list on the website but he is not there. Sorry to be a pest as a new boy.

David
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3245 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  13:06:57  Show Profile
Hi David

The MGCC telephone number is 01235 555552 and the direct line to John is 01235 849737

Regards

George
Go to Top of Page

halshaw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  23:11:59  Show Profile
George. Many thanks. Sorry I got confused between MMM Register and MGCC, and of course saw the contact as soon as I looked in the right place. Dooh...

David
Go to Top of Page

halshaw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  15:57:36  Show Profile
George

John responded very quickly, but that section of the factory records no longer exist. Thanks for helping anyway. I wonder if the car was used in any club activity in the Edibburgh area in the 50's and 60's. Doers it ring a bell with anyone?

David
Go to Top of Page

Dave Hall

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  17:40:53  Show Profile
Hi David,

This may help as I also found that the original records for my car were missing.

When I first started researching my 'M' Type, Bob Clare suggested that I contact The Kithead Trust, De Salis Drive, Hampton Lovett, Droitwich Spa, Worcs. WR9 0QE. Tel. 01905 776681.

www.kitheadtrust.org.uk e-mail: webmaster@kitheadtrust.org.uk derekpotter@tiscali.co.uk

My 'M'Type was first registered in Glasgow and they now hold all the details for that registration area.
It's only a guess but as they hold the Glasgow records they may also be able to help with Edinburgh registrations or know who may be able to do so.

I received my record which was good but just showed my father in-law as the last keeper!

Dave
M-Type 2M 3248
Go to Top of Page

halshaw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  19:48:07  Show Profile
HI Dave. Thanks for that.

I sent an e-mail to them this afternoon, and they have nothing which can help my search sadly. I am coming down to the chance of finding someone who actually remembers the car in the 1950's - a bit of a long shot.

The registration is later than the chassis, and it seems like the car was simply not registered until early 1932. It is not unusual at the time - my Talbot 90 itself was built in Dec 1930, and not registered until 1932. Luckily the complete factory records show the full story - the dealer it first went to when it came back to stock, and then the dealer who eventually sold it.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write.

Cheers

David
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  12:59:51  Show Profile
If GX 1389 was the original road plate then the car was registered in London not Edinburgh. Sad to tell, all the London records were destroyed so your only chance of tracing the history is indeed by "advertising" through the various media. The magazines are a good start (Enjoying MG "lost and found" for instance or the Automobile).

Maybe the social media sites e.g. "Twitter" or "Facebook" would work, I've never tried these.

Hope that helps.
Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  11:42:26  Show Profile
It would be wonderful if some day all surviving records in every region were computerised and integrated so that any history still on record could be found.A perfectly easy job for a computer.

It is quite possible that GX 1389 left London within months of first registration and moved on to a region/s where records survive but for which there is no practical search mechanism. Although the first owner may remain a mystery there may be a considerable history of GX 1389 on record which is at present completely inaccessible.

Could one write to every authority where records survive and ask (on the offchance) if GX 1389 is anywhere "on the books" ?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  18:31:33  Show Profile
I've just been able to retrieve the original registration records of my M Type from the Manchester County Record office. What was interesting was that every time the car was subsequently registered in another Authority, it was the original Oldham record that was amended to show that. That's not to say that the relevant authority didn't also have a record as well, but I don't have any proof of that...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000