Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Glyptal
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  12:22:10  Show Profile
In previous threads Glyptal has been recommended for sealing the inside of the block and also for 'older porous ally sumps'. But how do you clean the sump?

If it is not clean there is a danger the paint will peel off.

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 23/08/2011 16:58:20

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  13:16:11  Show Profile
A P Type owner I know, waited till his wife was out for the day, and put the sump in the dishwasher. He said it was the cleanest it had ever been. Sounds risky to me !! (from a desire for a quiet life point of view that is )
Don't worry,I wont let on who it was Roger.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 23/08/2011 13:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  00:09:17  Show Profile
Be careful using detergents like washing up liquid, washing powder and other soaps on these aluminium castings as it can easily set up a chemical reaction with the alloy and wreck the sump. Vapour blasting seems to be the best solution

Regards

Rich H

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  10:32:44  Show Profile
The safest option (from both domestic & engineering fronts!) is to find a local engine reconditioner - they often have an 'industrial' size parts washer that gets components spotless prior to assembly.

However, I got my magnesium sump clean using cellulose thinners to get rid of the oil & sludge (literally filled it with a pint or so and attacked with fine wire brush & old toothbrushes,)rinsed with more clean thinners, then washed with detergent and then rinsed with LOTS of fresh hot water. Left to dry for a couple of days & then one generous coat of Glyptal (if the sump is really bad, you can pour it in, rotate & drain).

No leaks since
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  18:27:22  Show Profile
The sump problem has deteriorated further. Whilst I was cleaning the lowest part of the sump ie the area under the gauze strainer, the pricker I was using went right through the bottom of the sump. This area is very badly corroded. I measured some of the other depressions and found that some are so deep that the wall is only 1 mm thick.

So what suggestions do you have to repair this area? Other than buy a new one.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3245 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  20:21:14  Show Profile
Hi Peter

I reckon the safest bet is to buy a new one!

George
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scott

In previous threads Glyptal has been recommended for sealing the inside of the block and also for 'older porous ally sumps'. But how do you clean the sump?

If it is not clean there is a danger the paint will peel off.

Peter

Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  20:43:25  Show Profile
Peter

There is no need to buy a new sump, I have repaired several sumps with worse corrosion than yours with 'Devcon Aluminium Putty' This is a two part aluminium epoxy putty, it is not cheap but it is well worth the money (much cheaper than a new sump) I have also used it for repairing corroded water pimps.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  21:28:43  Show Profile
Peter

Thank you very much for your reply. I had thought about using 'JB weld' which is what you saw on the inlet and outlet pipes of my water pump the other day. However that is designed principally for repairing steel components, even thought it appears to adhere well to ally.

I will use Devcon to repair my sump. What method did you use to clean the sump first?

For sealing the casting I have two options either Glyptal or vacuum impregnation by Impregnation Services Ltd who are recommended by forumists on the VSCC forum. Do you have any views on these two options. The other alternative is to leave as is and wipe the odd oil drip off with a rag.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  22:22:35  Show Profile
Peter,

Like Peter G, I have used Devcon Aluminium to repair sumps and water pumps with first class results. It has also been used to fix the odd problem on a certain F1 engine...!

I would recommend vacuum impregnation for sealing castings. Once again, this is standard practice for aluminium castings particularly where the wall thickness is deliberately thin to save weight. The company can also do the cleaning. Ultrasonic cleaning is pretty effective and fifteen years ago we used to use Trike in the tank - probably now regarded as unacceptable!

John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  08:58:50  Show Profile
John

Thanks for your advice. I have ordered some Devcon Aluminium.

I sent Impregnation Services a couple of pictures of my sump and his comment was that it is probably clean enough as is. This surprises me as I thought that cleanliness was critical before impregnation. He did recommend vapour blasting but more for cosmetic reasons. He cannot do vapour blasting yet but hopes to be able to do so in a months time. I have asked him just how clean it needs to be before impregnation.

Trike is a definite NO NO. My last job for Timken was selling the factory site in Northampton. The costs involved in cleaning up 60 years of trike was horrendous.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  11:22:29  Show Profile
Peter G
Are these the items you were alluding to that can be repaired with Devcon. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/319053024/Brand_New_Water_Pimp_with_Fan.html
Apologies in advance

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  12:08:48  Show Profile
David

Puts a whole new meaning on 'procurement'!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  17:21:37  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
I agree with both Peter and John regards to using Devcon aluminium on Triple-M sumps. I would add that if you have holes I have plugged these with aluminium rivets first and then used the Devcon. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  17:54:31  Show Profile
Thanks Terry

I have arranged to get my sump vapour blasted locally. Then I will plug the hole with an ally rivet and repair the corrosion with Devcon. When that is done I will send it to Impregnation Services.

So the decisions are made. Thanks to those who contributed.

Now we can leave this thread to those who wish to discuss mermaids.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  21:32:09  Show Profile
The bottom of 007s gearbox has has been patched using "Belzona" metal polymer for the best part of 30 years. It's the most oil-tight part of the whole car!
JH
Go to Top of Page

pinion

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  09:40:21  Show Profile
I have been using Belzona for 45 years.Last job was P type engine block.to make it water tight again!.Marvelous product.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000