Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Gear changing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  07:00:58  Show Profile
Hello Triple M owners. I am new to your breed of lovely cars and new to vintage car ownership so I hope you will forgive my very basic questions.

I have ventured out in our newly purchased J2 and seem to have got the knack of going up the box without too many painful noises from the gears but oh,,,just what is the trick required to go down the gears to avoid much grinding and clearly unsuccessful attempts, particularly from 3rd to 2nd?

I know they say 'practice makes perfect' but I don't want to damage the car while I hopefully get to that point.. I have had to stop on more than one occasion and start again amid huge fits of laughter so at least I am at the amusing stage of this rather than the embarrassing, but would like to think I can make clean downward changes without reaching the frustration point.

I expect this is something easier shown than written about but if anyone has a tip or two I would be pleased to hear them.

Thank you

Jeff Shackell

MGB

Netherlands
116 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  08:09:13  Show Profile
Congratulations with your new car! As a new owner (I bought my J2 in march), I understand your problem. Here is the solution:
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4232
When you've read this, the next step is very easy: practice!

Kind regards,
Maurice

A signature is so 2010!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  08:55:36  Show Profile
Thank you for this which has been digested whilst eating my toast! The sun is out here today so I will indeed be going out or more 'practice' later but it was very encouraging to read it is not just me that has experienced this issue and good to read the gearbox is pretty strong...I think it might need to be until I have the required knack.

Thank you again.

Jeff

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  09:04:33  Show Profile
Jeff - I'm also a novice at this - I've been learning since December. I already had some experience in double de-clutching when changing down, but the PA down change from 3rd to 2nd is a pig. I get it right maybe 4 out of 5 times at the moment.

I noticed that I always get it right when changing down 'in a hurry' going up a hill - having 'analysed myself' about this I think it's not just the revs (what you think you need plus a few more) but also the timing of the actual lever movement in conjunction with the second application of the clutch - basically you have to be pretty smartish about it.

Double declutching up the box was new to me, but that's easy to learn and eliminates the crunches going up into second/third. However, I'd love to know just how our amazing hill climbing friends change gear so quickly - a lot of skill there I think - because I generally bog down changing up into third having lost the revs in the delay.

Anyway, judging by the gear whine in 2nd I'm not the only owner that's crunched the gears - the answer is to change the gear box oil now and so often I suppose.

Cheers,

A fellow sufferer.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  10:24:27  Show Profile
If its any consolation, as a fairly old hand who had been off the road for a few years until earlier this year, I had a lot of trouble getting back into the habit of double de-clutching and getting the timing right. I seem to have it right now, but there is still the odd unpleasant noise from the gearbox (and the nut behind the wheel)

I had similar problems a few years ago when jumping from my company car with power everything into my wife's Metro - clutch felt so heavy I was convinced it was faulty!

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  11:06:43  Show Profile
Thank you for this input, much appreciated. So, I have a PB as well (it's a long story) which is also 'new' to me. I tried it yesterday for the first time and noticed a quite noisy second gear, a kind of constant whine when in use. A friend up the road has a PA and also said second gear was noisy. Does this possibly mean a badly scored second gear as in the photo on the previous thread due to the age old issue (it would seem) of making a clean change down from third to second? I am very spoilt having two cars, the theory being one should always be a runner...when the PB has an MOT I will share out the practice but for now it's the J2 which I have to say is my favourite out of the two despite being a little primitive compared to the P type.

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  11:41:09  Show Profile
I share Graham's experience, the first time I drove my NB after a full rebuild I had to relearn the gear change! Going up the gears is OK but as has already been noted going down can be harder. I believe that some of the trials experts, Steve Dear for one, change gear without using the clutch but that does need good timing!

I have the best of both worlds as my L2 has an ENV75 pre-select box which also requires practice to get the changes just right.

It is quite common for the second gear to be quite noisy.

Off out into the sunshine for a run

Regards

George
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
116 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  12:07:10  Show Profile
I call my gears:
useless first
screaming second
silent third
highway four.

Sunshine: what is that?

Kind regars from a rainy Holland,
Maurice

A signature is so 2010!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  12:51:54  Show Profile
Been to do the shopping in the J2, slightly better gear changes by not by much! Wife not happy as leaking oil from oil pressure gauge has now spoilt two pairs of trousers and also went into the shopping! Lol!, A job to do then this afternoon.

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  13:43:11  Show Profile

Hi Jeff,

I think the trick (as I've learnt from my PA) is to rev the engine (during the Double de clutch) a bit higher than you initially think it should be.
I also had some embarassing moments changing down from 3rd to 2nd, until I realised it needed a few more rev's to get the "snick" of a change without grinding them too much!!

Practice, as has been quoted, is the other way of getting a clean change..

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  21:55:50  Show Profile
Gear changing was easier by the end of the day, I had a lovely time buzzing about our local lanes today and am having fun which was the main objective of the purchase.

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  22:19:52  Show Profile
Hello Jeff

Delighted tohrear that the J2 is getting used. as for Wife not happy as leaking oil from oil pressure gauge 0 there should be a fibre washer within the cap nut that fixes the oil pipe to the back of the gauge. (My passemngers have mentioned the oil thing in the past to me too!)

How's the PB?

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  07:36:12  Show Profile
Hello Dick

I will check to see if there is a fibre washer, I wondered if there should be. Thanks for that.

MOT for the PB on Thursday so will go from there. The engine note sounds lovely on it.

Regards

Jeff

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  18:23:02  Show Profile
I once had a fair quantity of hot solder fall on my passenger, as all the solder in the wiring under the J2 dash melted at once.
Spectacular, especially with the smoke and smell!
The tow back home was not a popular part of the summer outing either....

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  20:03:08  Show Profile
Must not let my wife see the last post, I'm already in the dog house with two pairs of stained trousers hanging on the washing line!

Very interesting to read the dangers of driving triple M cars though....thank you!

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  14:33:42  Show Profile
Why did the solder melt?

Might it have been lack of engine earth strap and the earthing taking place through the oil pressure guage pipe?

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000