Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P type in Germany?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  14:47:38  Show Profile
On a recent rally in the Western Isles I was handed the photocopy below by someone who is not a MMM member, and asked for any info from the register or other members. Can anyone help?

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  15:52:44  Show Profile
Hi Colin

Most certainly a P type. Looking through the build records though, I can't find the registration number anywhere. Sorry I can't help further.

Regards

Robin

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  16:36:14  Show Profile
Are those two more MGs in the back ground? The left hand one might be.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  17:23:07  Show Profile
I agree the one on the left looks like another MG. From the copy of the photo I have, which is marginally better than the one above, the other car in the background appears to have a sloping radiator, so could be an F type. Presumably this was some sort of competitive event, perhaps with an Auto Union connection. The Swiss flag is interesting - perhaps there to stop the Gestapo impounding the car!

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:13:45  Show Profile
According to my notes (given to me by Mike Hawke several years ago), Registration Number BKA 537 was allocated to chassis number PA1485. No other information about the car or this particular event is available at present.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  09:12:45  Show Profile
The Auto Union tower in the background makes the location unmistakable as the Nürburgring - the tower stood by the start/finish apron. It originally advertised Motalin fuels, then Auto Union. After the war it became the Shell Tower: it was pulled down in late 1982.

Edited by - Vitesse on 05/09/2011 13:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  13:24:35  Show Profile
I asked some friends in a private research forum about this picture. Amongst them is Rob Semmeling, author of a history of the Nürburgring Sudschleife ("The Other Green Hell") and compiler of an excellent PDF guide to European circuits ("Rennen! Races! Vitesse!")

http://www.wegcircuits.nl/

His opinion - and mine - was that it was something non-competitive. Just as you can today, it was possible to turn up at the Nürburgring, pay a fee, and get access to the circuit. Today they're called Touristenfahrten - in the 1930s they were known as Besuchsfahrten. Rob thinks that this is the case here: he's identified the location as the start/finish area, looking towards the North Curve. The cars in the background are actually being refuelled: if they weren't there you'd be able to see the pumps. He's seen a number of pictures which show what are probably off-duty soldiers at the circuit - it seems to have been a popular outing for them - and these chaps are probably just interested in an unusual car.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  00:40:00  Show Profile
We did a couple of laps in 1962 in our trusty Austin A55! You could pay a nominal amount to do a lap (of the "old" circuit) but the chap in charge waved us through and we did another one! Then in 1986 we went back for the historic meeting (576 historic car entries and 119 motor cycles, including entire events for ERA's etc). Mercedes-Benz were the sponsors and Fangio (who I met again about a month later a Sporting Car Club meeting when he came over for an Australian Grand Prix), von Brauchitsch, Lang, Kling, Hermann and others were driving in the "demonstration" event. All rather heady for an impecunious Australian (with a very tolerant wife!)!
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  09:34:27  Show Profile
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Robin, does the chassis number PA1485 help at all with the register?

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  12:32:26  Show Profile
Hi Colin

It's not known to survice I'm afraid.

I'll see what i can find from the build records.

Regards

Robin

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000