Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Color for Triple M car
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cjroeleveld

Netherlands
68 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  18:27:39  Show Profile
I am busy to respay my Triple M car in Oxford blue and Gambridge blue WHO can help me with the right colour codes soon and which part is Oxford blue and which part is Gambridge blue as original. thank you for helping.

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  19:27:41  Show Profile
Hello Cees

Oxford Blue is Saab Midnight Blue - PPG Ref SAA 136
Cambridge Blue is Peugeot Bleu Rhapsodie - PPG Ref PEU 1628

There are also some ICI paint code numbers for these colours and they are JC79 and GC52, but I do not know which one is the dark (Oxford) blue and which one is the light (Cambridge) Blue.

I don't know which car you have, but the 'original' colouring for a PA would be:

Light colour:
Body tub, doors, bonnet, front apron, side valences and petrol tank.

Dark colour:
Wings, running boards, wing support brackets and headlamp brackets:

The larger cars such as NA usually had the bonnet top finished in the dark colour and the bonnet sides in a the light colour.

As far as I know this 'dark/light' convention applies to the other colours such as duotone red, green etc.

The factory was also willing (for a price) to supply a car in any combination of colours that the owner specified, so you may find variations of the above.

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  23:13:05  Show Profile
Hi Group,

We had the opportunity to disassemble a California PB and an NA, both of which were were duo-blue. Both cars had well preserved areas (stuck where the sun don't shine), and both blues patches were easily large enough to accurately color match.

The colors are close to those previously published, but after we matched the original samples I used those we had matched on my NB. I cut out 2-3" squares from original blue painted metal and when I set them on the modern paint it totally disappears.

If interested, the colors came to Suzuki OF2 with gloss binder and BMW YNC3. These colors compliment each other beautifully.

tommm on the windy, rainy Lake Erie shore
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1579 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  20:16:28  Show Profile
Please, you fellows with update knowledge about modern equivalents for pre-war Triple M body colours/colors, please offer these to update the existing 'download doc', under 'miscellaneous'.

All, there's been a previous request those 'in-the-know' to advise any errors and to fill in the blanks .

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 07/10/2011 13:20:36
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  11:16:09  Show Profile
I TOTALLY AGREE with Tom on this. The good work done by Ken Rees and the Triple-M committee in the early 1990’s from old colour swatches from the late Morgan Marshall were near and better than what had been done before. However, more information has come to light. I to have large areas of Blue on the L1 Continental coupe. The Blue colour mixed up from the Triple-M information is shades apart to that on the car. The same goes for the 2 reds found on my N type 2 seater. Tom researched Reds as well separately to me and 3 years ago we compared our samples which were “spot on” with each other but shades different with the Triple-M colours.
Also, just to remind you on previous posts….. The inside of the fire wall was painted silver. The pedals were also painted silver and not black. This can clearly be seen on factory photos that the Liberian holds and has been verified on cars Tom has had to restore and on my L CC. I hope this helps these who care about originality and those who do not care, just do your own thing and use your car.

Regards…. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  12:07:56  Show Profile
The NB that we are restoring has areas of the lower front panel that are hidden under the front wing that have not been exposed to light.

I have mixed up paint samples from Tom's paint codes and the match of both blues are a perfect match to the original, well done Tom.

Rod B NZ
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  12:09:57  Show Profile
Brian, and others

The Suzuki colour is light blue and the BMW is dark blue.

The Suzuki code is 0FZ ie. zero F Z 1982 - 1999
The BMW code is #10066 Topasblau or Topaz Blue 1998 - 2004

As Tom indicates the Suzuki colour is a flat paint that clears are added to the formula.

I have the Glasurit 22 line formulas for the Blues in PDF format as well as the two greens GN25, GN29 and the two reds RD6, RD14 if anyone requires them. They are for one ltr. Paint shops can mix any quantity.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  20:21:06  Show Profile
Brian and fellow Blues Brothers,

Sorry, missed this question and I see I misread the Suzuki can (2 instead of Z)so sorry if I mislead, as well!

Also, I hope the ICI tints in the Olde Country are the same as what we have here in the Colonies. These 2 blues do look fabulous together, not to mention I believe they are extremely close to the real 30's deal.

Thanks to Rod for getting it straight and providing more detail for everybody.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  22:24:24  Show Profile
Hey Tommm,

Greeting to Northern Ohio from Soutern Ohio. Do you have any info on the green used for a 1933 J2? This would be the single colour green.
Still slowly working on the J2 restoration along with the TC restoration!

Best regards,

John
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  14:19:12  Show Profile
John,

As a former resident of the Buckeye State can I offer some help on this My 33 J2 was originally the single green and we found some of the original colour under some aluminium spats that had been fitted to the lower front part of the rear wings. We colour matched it with Lesonal paint and the info I have on it is that it's Lesonal k22920 colour map 448 h5. Now to be honest, this doesn't mean much to me but I can say that the colour looks magnificent. I'll email you off line and can send you some photos to see what you think.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Lech

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  15:21:57  Show Profile
Surely this topic clearly indicates that the work carried out in the early 1990’s by the MMM Committee to identify colour codes is outdated no longer relevant, this is not a criticism of their original work, it’s just that paint codes have moved on from the information they had at the time. I’m thinking of painting my J1 duotone grey, I’ve supplied a number of local paint shops with the codes quoted in the MG Triple-M colours – (draft) document , they all told me that the colour codes do not relate to anything they have on record, although in some cases their records go back to the 1960’s – even AkzoNobel who are reputed to have one of the most comprehensive library of paint codes in Europe could not identify the codes given for Abingdon or Brooklands Grey (is the fact that the document is called “draft” of any significance?).

Could or would the present MMM Committee consider pooling all the information together that members have on the most appropriate colour matches on original shades and update the Colours Document with modern paint codes or is the subject too varied and complicated to achieve a consensus?

Lech.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  13:34:04  Show Profile
Lech

I have a listing for Grey

Light Grey or Dove Grey is GR34
Birch Grey is GR3
Metallic Grey GR14
Silver Streak Grey GR25

The GR prefix is the original BMC code, now it can often be listed as ARGGR3 etc (ARG = Austin Rover Group)

Most of the Pre War colours transferred through to post war colours some with different names, but the code remains as GR or ARGGR in the case of Grey's.

Pre War, Apple Green, then Dublin Green, became British Racing Green post war but still is GN25. The same colour on MGB's as ARGGN25.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000