Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 UK Trip
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  16:44:01  Show Profile
I and 3 others will be coming to the UK next September. We will arrive on September 6th, do Beaulieu that weekend and the Goodwood Festival the following weekend and leave on the 17th. The days in between are dedicated to each of the 4 of us to plan but we’ll be doing Abingdon and Gaydon on Wednesday.

I have the 10th to plan and am looking for any suggestions that would be of interest to 4 Triple-M guys. We’re staying in a rented house in Stapleford near Salisbury, so a 2 hour or less radius would be best. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  19:06:54  Show Profile
Hello Lew

That's a tall order and I suppose it depends on your area/s of interest - but here's a starter .. (Willyou be in Triple-M cars?!)

Car and transport interest:
Haynes International Motor Museum,Yeovil
Barry Foster (although he may be at Angouleme by then?
Swindon Railway Museum
Bristol/Avonmouth (naval heritage)

Scenic
The Dorset and Purbeck coast (beautiful coastline and Cambrian fossils abound)

The New Forest

The Vale of the White Horse

History and culture
Salisbury Museum, based in the King’s House, a grade I listed building located opposite Salisbury Cathedral.
Salisbury Cathedral
A brewery to vsisit?

Stately Homes (various)
National Trust:
Mompesson House
The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 2EL

Stourhead

Stonehenge

Longleat House and Safari Park

Avebury (Standing Stones)

Lacock Abbey, Fox Talbot Museum and Village (Nr. Chippenham)

And so, so much more......

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  20:44:21  Show Profile
Lew

I think that you should appoint Dick as your travel agent.

Having recently spent a week-end in Bristol, I can thoroughly recommend a visit there to see the ss Great Britain and of course Brunel’s Clifton suspension bridge. The dockland area in the centre of Bristol has been very tastefully redeveloped.

As the owner of an ex Airline Coupe I hope that sometime during your visit I could meet up with you. Perhaps I will get to Beaulieu in 2012.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  09:14:53  Show Profile
Brooklands Museum: http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/ Plus the opportunity to stop off at Chaters en route to or from Salisbury: http://www.chaters.co.uk/

Solent Sky Museum, Southampton: http://www.spitfireonline.co.uk/ Much more of interest in the city too, including a Maritime Museum (closed at present, but moving to new site next April).

Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton: http://www.fleetairarm.com/

Stonehenge: vastly over-rated. Don't bother paying to get in - park in the car park and then look from the road. You'll see just as much!

Edited by - Vitesse on 27/10/2011 10:05:55
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  11:05:40  Show Profile
quote:

Stonehenge: vastly over-rated. Don't bother paying to get in - park in the car park and then look from the road. You'll see just as much!

I don't know about over rated, but the view of Stonehenge as you drive East - West along the a303 and it appears in front of you is as good as any you will get.

If you drive the A4 from Marlborough to Calne you will see a number of round barrows, Silbury Hill, West Kennet Long Barrow, Avebury (the stones of which you can walk right up to - beware of sheep droppings), these last two just off the road, and the White Horse at Cherhill...and there are a few decent pubs too. And don't forget the White Horse at Uffington... All free! (well you have to pay to park at Avebury...)

What about a one-off Triple-M lunchtime natter somewhere? I live at Highworth, near Swindon, not too far from Salisbury...

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  11:46:06  Show Profile
Lew:
Well Done !!! I am wondering how close some of our vendor friend's shopes are or will the be preoccupied with the shows - VMG, SV, BW , Jones', etc.
Thanks,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  13:51:35  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For my day out I have chosen the Brooklands museum and a visit to Steve Gilbert's shop. But a couple of the other guys (Dan F included) will no doubt appreciate the other suggestions.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  16:54:18  Show Profile
Good choice Lew. Goodwood is as close to religion as it gets for me, I hope to be there for the weekend as usual. Top tip is that the traffic does get very heavy indeed so prepare for very early starts. We should arrange something MMM for you, I am only in Newbury so between Abingdon, and Salisbury. Keep us posted on your itinerary.

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  17:03:53  Show Profile
Hi Lew

How about a trip to portsmouth and visit the Historic ships. HMS Victory is a must.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  17:54:07  Show Profile
So many options, so little time! Thanks to all for your suggestions. We'll post our final itinerary as we get closer. However, there is always the option for people to join us for a dinner or simply an opportunity to hoist a brew.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:26:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LewPalmer

So many options, so little time! Thanks to all for your suggestions. We'll post our final itinerary as we get closer. However, there is always the option for people to join us for a dinner or simply an opportunity to hoist a brew.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew

I'm sure that there are many MMM owners, spread around the country, who would like to take the opportunity to meet up with you, if possible. So a lunch would be preferable to a dinner for those who have to travel some distance.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:27:57  Show Profile
Sounds a good plan!
John R
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:40:57  Show Profile
Hi Lew

I note you are scheduled for Abingdon and Gaydon on Wednesday both of which are nice and central.

A planned lunch time or evening meeting sounds good to me and I am sure we could arrange to have a good selection of Triple-M cars!

Regards

George
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:48:23  Show Profile
You were asking Dan about the Grand Supporters of Triple M folk and my Good friend Bibendum, of Michelin fame tells me that from Gaydon to Shrewsbury for Mike and Jamie Dowley is 83 miles, nearly all motorway.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 03/11/2011 23:49:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000