Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 It's not an MG...????
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:16:31  Show Profile
OK, guys, I know this isn't an MG, but what is it? The photos date from 1937 and were taken in Switzerland apparently.

Can anyone identify what it is?

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  23:35:37  Show Profile
Simon,

I will stick my neck out and say I think it is a Humber.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  06:12:25  Show Profile
I think you might be right, Peter. A hunt for 1937 Humbers produced this saloon http://ucapusa.com/images/car_spotters_guide/europe/1937/Humber_Pullman.jpg

(I'm assuming it's not appropriate simply to paste a photo from another site but to give the link.).

But you'll see certain similarities of style, especially the style of the radiator surround. And interestingly the registration numbers are both DXT and only 41 digits apart. But XT is apparently a London registration so no obvious links to Humber but perhaps just the number range a Humber dealer used.

But interesting that it's a four door drophead and that the radiator surround is painted and not chromed.

Anyone else able to add to the detective work?

Simon
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  07:31:40  Show Profile
Perhaps you can send a mail to www.prewarcar.com? They can put the picture on their site and an answer is guaranteed!

Kind regards
Maurice

www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html

Edited by - MGB on 03/11/2011 07:33:24
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  08:27:12  Show Profile
I've just done as you suggest, Maurice. Let's see what they come up with.

Many thanks,

Simon
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  09:18:52  Show Profile
I am pretty sure you will an answer with the name of the manufacturer and all other information.

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  08:39:45  Show Profile
I think it's a Hillman.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  11:40:59  Show Profile
I, too, am inclined to think that it is a Hillman. Quite a rare beast, particularly here in Oz. They were made by Humbers and were virtually an economy model Humber.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  14:26:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BobRichards

I think it's a Hillman.

Bob, I think you win the prize. Here's a picture of a 1937 Hillman Hawk http://www.pembrokeshireclassicinvestments.co.uk/uploaded/images/hillman%20hawk%20front%20main.jpg which seems to be identical.

Many thanks guys

Simon
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  15:22:21  Show Profile
It is a Hillman 6 light drophead coupe.
They were quite a rare beast everywhere (not just in OZ) Barry.

Very similar to the Humber except with a smaller engine - I think these were a 20 hp and the Humber was a 40 hp.
That said I think the drop head version of the Humber is pretty rare too!

Incedentally the 6 light is reference to the number of windows - it was always a puzzle to me as a youngster that the cars seemed to have less than 6 lights at either end and more than 6 all told.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  18:14:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by David Allison

It is a Hillman 6 light drophead coupe.
They were quite a rare beast everywhere

We'd already established it was a Hillman and it's obvious it's a drop head coupe, but I'm curious how it could also be a 6 light. Isn't that a saloon body style? I guess that would indeed make it a rare beast - a drop head saloon
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  19:08:53  Show Profile
'Six light' is an expression which means that the car has six windows, i.e. three down each side. The front and rear windows dont count!

Riley cars were often referred to in that way because they made four light and six light versions of the same model, e.g. Kestrel. Armstrong Siddeley also, e.g. the four light and six light Sapphire.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  19:22:55  Show Profile
Exactly, Bob, which makes it kinda hard to have a six light drop head coupe!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  09:42:47  Show Profile
Gentlemen,

The car IS a Hillman, and I think you will find it was called a "15HP Tourer". Where I used to have my workshop, my landlord there actually had a similar car.

The Rootes Group was formed by William Rootes just pre-war, and brought together the (finacially struggling) Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam and Talbot Companies. From around 1937 all four "companies" were building badge-engineered versions of the same car, with slightly different bodywork. After the war, the Singer Company was added to the fold.

The Hillman 15 was a similar car to the Humber Hawk of the period mechanically, powered by a large capacity side valve engine.

The entire Rootes Group is now part of the Peugeot Group or was when I last checked! But then I am primarily interested in MG!

Best wishes,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  06:22:18  Show Profile
Today on prewarcar.com:
a-customs-hold-up-mystery

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  10:36:33  Show Profile
Thanks, Maurice. I had checked back to that site a few times but hadn't seen anything but the comments there now confirm what Bob Richards had suggested, i.e. that it is a Hillman, and as I subsequently discovered it's a Hillman Hawk (Humber seemingly didn't use the Hawk name until after WWII) and not a six light nor a 15.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/11/2011 10:38:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000