Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Period Photo?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  00:32:57  Show Profile

Here's an interesting period photo that has been sent to me from Mr. Ken W. from a deceased relative's estate. He showed interest in identifying the model and coach builder and year of manufacture. Plus any other comments that you would care to make and share.

Two other people from the forum and myself have been discussing the photo recently.
It created lots of interest and Ken has given us the approval of posting it here.

Please note; if any one wants to publish it elsewhere further approval would be required via the family.

Thanks.

Brian.

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  05:47:19  Show Profile
To kick down the open door it is an F so the time is set
Body i don't know any type with a fold down hood like this

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  09:55:01  Show Profile
Brian/Onno,

Yes Onno, you are right. My notes show that it is chassis number F0874. Don't know what the body is. Could possibly be a University Motors Coupe.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  10:05:05  Show Profile
Chassis build files confirm UM coupe.

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  10:08:11  Show Profile
Intresting to see one

some nice details witch make me wonder
-painted bonnet hooks?
-painted sidelight but chrome head lights
-very wide body (see how little rear wing is left)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:04:29  Show Profile
An article from the Light Car kindly sent to me by Brian says that that the UM Coupe was built for them by Carlton.
John R
Go to Top of Page

fmagna

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  14:24:30  Show Profile
Brian
The 'F' Type Register website has details and more photos - the University Motors 'Carlton' Coupe is to be found under BODY-STYLES/OTHER COACH-BUILT BODIES.
I would very much like to include that photo and any other 'period' F type ones available - could you please ask the family if they would approve?
Many thanks
Ian Ross
fmagna.org
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  16:44:34  Show Profile

Hello Ian,

Yes I'll ask for permission for you.

I found it interesting that on this model the wind down windows are a two piece unit. With the design of the doors being cut-away for the rear mudguards a one piece window wouldn't have been able to travel all the way down. They designed a sliding window rear section that when slid to the open position enabled the two sections to be fully lowered as one unit. A clever concept. The picture shows the window in the lower position, it's just visible above the door by and inch or so.

What type and model headlights are used on this car? I notice that a horn is fitted in a rather unconventional position. Owners mod. no doubt. It's visible lower left section of the radiator, as though it's bolted on the front wing.

The road test article mentioned above, by John, is from The Light Car, January 22, 1932. It can be found in both, MG Gold Portfolio 1929-39 and MG 1929-34.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  17:52:03  Show Profile
Brian,
the headlights on my ND (see photo below) are LUCAS R 160 S, and as they really look similar to those on the F type, I would think that this lamp model was also used there.
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  23:05:43  Show Profile

Thanks for posting the photo, Gerhard.

They look very imposing. Are they 9"Dia or larger, and were they original to your ND?

Ian. You have the go-ahead to use the photo on your website from Mike. He asks for the same proviso;

Please note; if any one wants to publish it elsewhere further approval would be required via the family.

I appreciate your interest. You have a good looking website.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

fmagna

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  08:05:35  Show Profile
Brian
Many thanks!
All photos of 'F' types are much appreciated as is any information to 'fill in the gaps' in the 'F' type Registry.
Ian Ross
www.fmagna.orf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000