Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Layshaft Roller Bearings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark Sellick

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  13:17:35  Show Profile
Dear All,
I'm looking for the caged roller bearings that support each end of the laygear in the 4-speed Wolseley-type gearboxes.
Are they commercially available - my usual bearing supplier is at a loss!
Thanks,
Mark

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  13:45:49  Show Profile
http://www.berliss.com/roller_bearings.php

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  14:22:04  Show Profile
I got mine from Sports&Vintage a few years back.Twice, as I didn't check the end float which is controlled by the dished washers, certainly called something specific that I don't know of, I think you know what mean, they can be fitted so that there is too little end play.
best regards
Sven
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  15:26:13  Show Profile
I was interested in Sven's comment that it was possible to have too little end play. What is the advice for the correct amount?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  19:46:24  Show Profile

Gordon,

I presume what Sven is eluding to is the correct installation of the conical spacers, two on the layshaft and one on the Mainshaft.

The correct positioning is to have the closed chamfered end (not the open end) of the spacer against the needle bearings.

In the Barry Linger article it doesn't mention this but the drawing that accompanies the article does on close inspection. The shafts are machined with a chamfer, and the spacer is manufactured to suit. If the spacer is the wrong way around the required free play for the bearing is lost.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  20:03:34  Show Profile
The Barry Linger article referred to by Brian is in the 1982 Yearbook. It is a very good article accompanied by detailed drawings - it certainly helped me when I rebuilt my gearboxes.

I always got my bearings from Sports and Vintage Motors.

George.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  20:45:25  Show Profile

To correct my posting, rather than edit it;

There are four spacers on the Layshaft not two.

Thanks, George, for identifying the yearbbook editon.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  20:45:36  Show Profile
http://www.phoenix-bearings.co.uk/start.htm

Their ref. 23002 should get you identical replacements to the originals, but do double check dimensions before you buy as the ones I had might have been supplied in a different box. (I still have the box and that's the part number on the side).

You may have to order via a bearing stockist. I believe Phoenix are the manufacturer.

Edited by - kimber on 25/11/2011 20:48:12
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  20:50:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Kelly

There are four spacers on the Layshaft not two.

Brian.

And, only one abutting the back face of the roller on the front of the mainshaft...

Edited by - kimber on 25/11/2011 20:51:50
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  19:05:32  Show Profile
I'm looking for caged roller bearings for Wolseley 4 speed......

We have these bearings in stock and can send out any number required. We also manufacture the special hardened thrust washers for the layshaft and Input shaft.

Phoenix are manufacturers and would probably not be fussed about send out 2 or 3 bearing ( They also have a minimum Order.)

Mike Dowley
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sellick

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:05:19  Show Profile
Dear All,
Thanks for your responses!
Just to let everyone know, Phoenix Bearings no longer manufacture roller assemblies, but have very kindly sent their single remaining one to me, gratis! They do however, have a lot of stock in some sizes left at very reasonable prices - e.g. £3 for a pack of ten.
I have been in touch with Berliss in the States - thanks Lew - and am awaiting their response.
Mike, I believe the roller assemblies you stock are shorter than original. Is there any particular reason for this, as the few commercial stockists who claim have them show sizes as per original. Do you have any specifications available for your roller assemblies, load ratings etc?
Thanks again everyone, and I'll let you know if Berliss get back to me.
Regards,
Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000