Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 That time of Year.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  18:16:34  Show Profile

Just in case you didn't get one again under your tree this year.

The photos should speak for themselves. From The Royal Class. Built in Crewe. 1933.

Pure bloody magic!

It runs summer Fridays from Crewe to Scarborough and return. Pictured here, late September of this year, taking on water at Denton Station (Manchester) in the north-easterly direction.

Merry Christmas to all and all the best for 2012.

Brian Kelly.
On a beautiful crisp bright Christmas Day in Kansas. USA.

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2011 :  10:16:33  Show Profile
Brian, Several years ago I rode behind that very same locomotive. I think that we picked it up at Crewe (ridden on quite a lot of steam tours over the years, and can no longer be certain) and the tour went via Hellifield and over the Settle- Carlisle line. Full chat over Ais Gill Summit. That is when the magic really kicks in ! Makes a change from bumpy, noisy, smelly little sports cars.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2011 :  18:24:43  Show Profile
To bowdlerise Dr. Johnson,: 'A man who is tired of bumpy, noisy, smelly sports cars is tired of life'.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  10:26:54  Show Profile
Bob,

I didn't say that I was tired of bumpy, noisy, smelly little sports cars. It is just that riding behind a 120 ton (or whatever) steam locomotive hauling 13 fully laden coaches up Ais Gill is somewhat different. I have owned the aforementioned b,n,s etc cars since 1957 and they are still a very large part of my life.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

farley1

Canada
152 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  19:47:59  Show Profile
Steam and MG buffs.....Evening Star. Pretty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXvF1F-3nTU&feature=related

"If it burns fossil fuel and makes loud noise, ya gotta like it!"

Happy New Year.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  22:01:29  Show Profile
I worked for the South Australian Railways from 1954 until 1978, most of the time at our Islington workshops where we made some of the largest conventional steam locomotives in the world ("broad gauge", over 220 tons). I also worked for the British Railways in 1961/62. Apart from poor water, trackwork was always an issue in our State, heavy locos/large trains/sparse population were not an ideal combination!
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  10:10:10  Show Profile
Just watched the evening star clip, made my day, steam engines lived they eat breath and talk, wonderful, just a shame you can't smell the smell that goes with it. If the "green lot" have their way YOU Tube clips will all we will ever have to remember any engine that eats fuel and breaths, God for bid, makes me glad I am in the last third of my life! I fear it will be back to the dark ages for all our grand children.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  11:56:06  Show Profile
Rodney

"If the "green lot" have their way YOU Tube clips will all we will ever have to remember any engine that eats fuel and breaths, God for bid..."

God won't forbid, sadly, and it ain't the Greens' fault either. We are running out of stuff to burn. Be grateful you lived when you did and understand the problems those who follow you will face.

Happy New Year.

Peter

(MMM MG owning member of the Green Party)
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  21:21:14  Show Profile
They got to you too Peter! Better buy your horse and cart now!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000