Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M type identity
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fergus

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:35:00  Show Profile
I am having a lot of trouble discovering the true identity of my M type, I have pressed on with with the restoration but would like to get some other opinions on the chassis number as, although it has been accepted as an M type, I would like to know the exact identity and any history if it has any that is known. Would it be a good idea to post a photo of the dumb iron on this forum or not? I really dont know how else to work out what it really is. Any help would be gratefully received.

Fergus

2M ????

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:45:27  Show Profile
It could be a morris minor chassis they are very similar is the handbrake cross shaft in the correct place I believe on a Morris chassis you need to move it back a few inches that's the difference between the 2 chassis. There's a person called robin hamlet he should tell you a lot more about it as he has information about all mmm mg cars what left the factory. There are lots of m types built on morris minor chassis.
Go to Top of Page

Fergus

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:51:00  Show Profile
Greg,
It's clear that it is an M type as it has all the early M type features, aluminium footbrake bracket, shortened outriggers, M type wing mounting brackets, M type front member positioning, and the correct steering column mounting. The chassis had a reasonable amount of rust on it and it was clear that it had not been modified recently to M type specification. Robin has had a look but not come up with anything except that it is most definitely an original early '29 M type.
Cheers

Fergus

2M ????
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:53:40  Show Profile
That's good I bought a m type found out it was then on a Morris chassis then that was one of the reasons I got rid off it.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  18:39:58  Show Profile
Fergus

I suggets you might like to contact Robin Hamblett who is the Registrar of the Triple-M Register for guidance. He may also possess info about the past history of your particular car. His details are in the contacts section of this website (accessible from the home page).

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  20:31:39  Show Profile
How can you tell that it is most definitely an original early '29 M type? Since the aluminium footbrake bracket was introduced from late 1929 on,it could be a later chassis. Early cars had the footbrake mounted on the side of the gearbox and of course a transnmission brake.

Are the headlamp supports present?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Fergus

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  20:44:20  Show Profile
sorry what I meant was that it was early and made in 29, not nececcerily early 29. It also did not have the brackets for the cable brakes, but instead the stump of a front cycle wing mounting bracket, the same as on the photo of RX 5917, where this bracket would normally be. I could be mistaken about it being '29 but this is what Bob Clare advised me on account of the features that I mentioned. Please excuse my lack of knowledge as I am only seventeen and very new to this game. And no, there are no headlamp supports present.

Fergus

2M ????
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  21:31:00  Show Profile
Fergus can you make out any numbers on the off-side dumb-iron? They should be fairly big (3/16... 1/4 inch or so.
Go to Top of Page

Fergus

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  23:54:32  Show Profile
I think I can make them out, but the number that it seems to be is already registered. The number looks like _49o.

Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  09:10:48  Show Profile
Fergus, a paper rubbing may allow you to get a clearer image of the numbers on the dumb iron.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  09:38:07  Show Profile
Check out the " metallurgy to reveal chassis numbers" in the archive section. Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  17:42:58  Show Profile
Fergus,

Don't worry we were all new to the game at some stage, its good that there is someone of your age who is interested and isn't an Austin 7 man!

55+ years ago I first encountered an M type, I have two and am still learning. Why not register to use the Vintage Morris Register site? Better still join the VMR and put 21 July 2012 in your diary to attend VMR Pre-war Prescott there will be Ms and M/M there. Also you can get a chance of driving (untimed) up the hill. On this site you will find a lot of people with M type and M/M experience, and photographs of differing features.

I note your posting of wanting a 12/12 body, why do you want this when you are not sure of the chassis provenance? Poor 12/12 replicas to my mind always look "wrong" whereas a standard boat back looks reasonable even with one or two faults. The boat back is not too hard to make if you have some basic woodworking skills. Also there are more bits about for B/Bs.

Where are you located? There may well be someone local to you who can offer help, advice, encouragement etc.

Stick at it you will get there in the end.

Go to Top of Page

Fergus

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  20:14:30  Show Profile
The only reason I want a 12/12 body is I think the cut down doors look good, and if I have no particular history that I can follow then I thought I may as well go with what I think looks best. One thing that I am wondering about is the wing mounting that I found on the chassis, it is located where the front cable brake bracket normally bolts to the chassis and looks like it would fit to wings as shown on the pictures of RX 5917, would anyone be able to tell me whether these kind of wings were standard and if so what year they would be standard to? I can post an image of the bracket if I can find it in the box of mystery bits.

Fergus
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  20:33:50  Show Profile
Fergus, the wing mounting sounds like the standard item. The wings on RX5917 are just chopped down standard wings and normal for 1929/30 early 1931(?). You would think parts for a 12/12 should be harder to get than for standard cars, but in fact such things as wings are much, much cheaper for 12/12s. With a standard body theres nothing to stop you lowering the doors - owners have been doing it for the last 80 years! There seem to be very few difference between the two bodies, but Garry Waiting is the man to talk to.
Go to Top of Page

Fergus

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  21:08:16  Show Profile
Thanks Ian, would you be able to give me his contact details?
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  21:33:07  Show Profile
Fergus

Sorry, earlier posting should have read Vintage Minor Register forum.

Just AD catching up!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000