Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 FINDING THE REST!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  17:28:06  Show Profile
The J2 is 80 this year.

What if the MG Clubs All sponsored an initiative to FIND ALL J2s.
(and other MMMs)
I can put it to the MG Owners Club.

Has the Club Car Club and MMM Registry any PR capabilities?
Maximise any photo opportunities at Stoneleigh.
Get some nice 30s shots of the cars in a PR digital database portfolio.
etc.

It would be nice to run some articles worldwide, celebrating the car and have a "back to the nest" idea, where anyone who knows of an MMM car, and it's details can e mail the Registry. Have a "grey" database, not for public view, but keeping "tabs" on cars.

Do what the MG Owners Club did. A "We can help You" form that can be printed off to give to owners NOT in The MMM Registry.
This could be given, by a reader, to an owner..Promoting The Register.

An idea that might be worth discussion.

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  17:57:53  Show Profile
Strapline..
OCTOGENERIAN. The J2 at Eighty.

Photo op.
If Rich Hardy could get some J"s in the middle of the Roundhouse of Steam Locomotives in York? I was up there in the 70s when they were thinking of building it. Any info on the place?
A load of J2s at Octogon House. MG Owners Club HQ, Swavesey, near Cambridge.
Would make a nice cover. The club features alot of early MG history in it's articles.

Duxford, J2s by a 1930s small aircraft.
A couple in 30s clothes... Brooklands (Any ideas Mr Green?) There must be acres of opportunities where other age related places/attractions would love a brace o 30s MGs turn up. In the USA, a photo feature with 1930s related transport.
Lay it on with a trowel, how old they are.. And The MMM Registry helps them carry on.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  19:38:11  Show Profile
Spitfire

Can't quite see the point in this as the average person in the street would not know or really care what a J2 or an MMM MG actually is! Sorry

Just about all the J2s that have survived are already known to the club and generally it is only the club or like minded people in similar circles who are remotely interested in our cars.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  21:31:59  Show Profile
Maybe you're right!
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  15:02:25  Show Profile
Based on the fact that a local car show in this area (Thatcham in Berkshire) was featured in the local paper showing a picture of a kit car called a Teal and then captioned the photo as a 1920's Bugatti - then showed a number of photos of 1970's Ford saloons as Rare Classics - I think that Richard is correct!

Unless you are an MG anorak (I probably am one, although I lack both the beard and adenoid problem touched on by Jeremy Clarkson on occasion) you probably neither know, nor care about MMM MG's.
Even some MG anoraks (even those with beards and adenoid problems) neither know or care about MMM MG's and think that the first and only MG is a 1973 chrome bumper MGB GT!

The 75th anniversary of the J2 was celebrated - as was the L type and K3.
The 50th anniversary of the MMM Register was celebrated only last year.
At the risk of benevolent overload within the club as a whole, I think there is probably a risk of celebrating too often?

The cars are (while they are running) great to drive and give their owners a great deal of fun
while doing the driving.
Far better to arrange informal gatherings to ensure that we all enjoy the cars as often as possible.

Peter Green and family organise an annual lunch in the summer which has become one of the great social events in the MMM calender.
Informal, social and great fun - it is events like this which become over time the more formal events like Beuliea (spelt that wrong), Cheddar used to be.

MGCC Silverstone used to be an event organised by BMC to market the company to its customers - the club was an integral part of the factory media department.
Customers could meet staff in an informal way to discuss upcomming developments and products.
The the factory pulled out of club involvement and the club became self supporting.
The social side of the club dwindled because the main thrust of the club was seen as "concentrated on competition" - in fact the competition needed huge organisation and the social side was always seen as an "informal aside".
Social events need a good deal of organisation too and with basically the "same faces" organising both the racing and the social events the social events I am afraid took a backseat.
The problem was alway that the amount of work required is large - Peter and his entire family I know works extreemly hard for several weeks before to organise his event - and this doesnt involve too much in the way of health and safety - road safety and other such organisational headaches (actually it probably does).

I can remember when the car parks behind the main grandstand at Silverstone were FULL of cars - most of the people neither involved or even watching the racing.
Picnics, lots of chat and an annual chance for freinds to meet up (probably only seeing each other once a year).

In the last few years the race meeting has become centred on the middle of the circuit - the informal side of the club has re-started and the club has become once again a bit more of a social cub.

But as to trying to involve the general public - it might be worth a go - but I dunno.
Certainly the Windsor event was very successful - although those of us involved in the parade where cut off from the informal part on the Long Walk by the security services.
Plus getting out of Windsor in the evening was a nightmare for old cars with inefficient cooling systems and defunct dynamos.
I hate to think about how much the policing and road safety side of the event cost though?????

Gary I think that the best idea is to work on an event in your local area - build it up over time and it will grow into another great event.
Dont limit yourself to an individual model of MMM car though - there are only a few J2's in use at any one time - probably only around 300 MMM cars to be honest.
The chance of getting all of the running J2's in Britain in one place again so soon after the 75th anniversary is a tall order.
However a meeting for MMM cars would probably see around 50 cars easily and may be more with a bit of arm twisting and a central, easy to get to location.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  19:13:10  Show Profile
Points taken on board!
I think the J2 80th and the MGB 50th is worth fusing together tho.
I think it's worth a nice magazine photoshoot. A comparison of the two.
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  17:01:38  Show Profile
Some of the 2012 MG Anniversaries

80th J2
65th Y-type
50th MGB and MG 1100
20th RV8
10th MG TF
1st MG 6

The anniversaries celebrated by the MGCC are the 25th, 50th, 75th and when we get there the 100th. The Registers and Centres may well celebrate others too.

The MGB 50 event at Blenheim Palace on the 23rd September 2012 is a day or so off the actual Motor Show launch date and is being held at the place where the outside publicity photos for the MGB were taken.
Whilst the event is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the MGB the organisers are keen to emphasis that ALL MGs are welcome.

Taking up the point made earlier by David it would be great to arrange local events where the whole range of MG anniversaries could be celebrated, yes find one of each in the list – the local fete, the local show even a display at local garden centre. The time line of MG cars with the enthusiastic owners could really demonstrate the Marque of Friendship.

George Wilder
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  18:05:32  Show Profile
The Triple-M Register did celebrate the 75th anniversary of each model as it reached that historic landmark. The celebrations included a good display of the cars in each model range at MG Silverstone.

As George Wilder has indicated the next landmark will be 100 years if the owners get there!

George Eagle
Hon Sec

Edited by - George Eagle on 06/02/2012 18:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  18:34:28  Show Profile
Most of the cars might make it.

Most of us may not.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  18:43:19  Show Profile
Let's see now .. Aug 2034. Hmm I'll be 88 by then. Will there be an internet by then, or will we all communicate by telepathy? Watch this space!

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  19:46:57  Show Profile
Hmm ! One month off my 100th. Hope to be there but probably not in the PA.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  20:12:15  Show Profile
Should be a great 100th celebration, most of us oldies could be wheel chair bound reminising about those wonderful ohc cars, whilst the cars could well be static exhibits due to effects of either ethnol or oil wells running dry, or even EU Regulations!

George
By then long retired Hon Sec

Edited by - George Eagle on 06/02/2012 20:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  21:26:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Masters

Hmm ! One month off my 100th. Hope to be there but probably not in the PA.

Don't worry Ray. I will come and pick you up. I will only be 95.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  14:19:57  Show Profile
I was reminded yesterday that I forgot the MG Metro. It has 30th anniversary this year
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  15:52:47  Show Profile
Peter Yes pick me up please .... but only if you have room for two Zimmer frames .
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  16:26:46  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

Odd all this fuss about the J2: even if I once described it in print as one of the definite car designs ever, and certainly the first two seater sports car of distinct character. I will accept the slings and arrows of M-type owners, but those who designed that body were specifically influenced by the contemporary racing cars, so they told me. The J2 started from scratch: nothing like it had appeared before, although since 1932 there have been many imitators!

Mike Hawke did the definitive work on the model, and I think copies of his two books are still obtainable. In his trawl he accounted for many of the cars, those missing were considered "lost" by him. There is probably little to add.

I have embarked on a project covering all the MMM models, and if anyone wants to help on this please step forward.

Best wishes,

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000