Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Toolbox in 4 seat P Types.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  16:48:30  Show Profile
I believe a toolbox was a standard (or optional?) fit in 4 seat P Types, also standard in Airline Coupés.

Does anyone have photos for the toolbox fitted in a 4 seater, please?

I’m particularly interested in the fixings height for the cross-bracing bars between the firewall and the scuttle, beneath the toolbox on a 4 seater. (The Airline Coupé had a different strut bracing layout between the firewall and scuttle).

Many thanks.

Bruce. (PB0564)

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  21:43:41  Show Profile
Bruce,

I suggest you give Bryan Ditchman a call, 01189 326346. He is not on the Internet,
He has been doing much research into 4-seater P bodies for the rebuild of his PB, and he may be able to help.

John R
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  00:01:16  Show Profile
Bruce,
This subject came up once before. I made a replacement for the tool box in my Airline Coupe and have supplied dimensions and photos to whomever asked. I'll see if I can dig the info out and email it to you.

The difference in the cross braces for at least the Airline, and probably the 4 seaters, is that the braces are located on the firewall brackets one bolt lower than normal with the scuttle end lowered to match. This gives enough vertical clearance (barely) to fit the tool box just above the cross braces. I also used 1/2" X 1/8" flat steel stock bolted between the back side of the scuttle (vertical panel) and the firewall to give a stable platform onto which the tool box rests. Screws from beneath the straps into the bottom of the toolbox stabilizes everything.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  09:07:44  Show Profile
Hello Lew,

If you find it maybe you could post the details here or send them to Nick to add to the technical downloads area of the site? (There's already an image of a catch for a toolbox there - we're just missing the box itself at the moment!)

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  10:39:42  Show Profile
Have a look at,

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2714&SearchTerms=PA,toolbox

Regards, Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

Gerard

Netherlands
39 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  12:04:31  Show Profile
Hi
Is the P-type toolbox the same as an J1 toolbox??
I have an original J1 toolbox.

Gerard
www.mgmmm.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  12:25:08  Show Profile
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reminder ................ old age and fading memory; poor excuse!

I'd still like a definative answer re the open 4 seat P Type, if someone has it, please.

quote:

Have a look at,

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2714&SearchTerms=PA,toolbox

Regards, Alan

PA 0397

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  14:51:22  Show Profile
That's the description I was thinking of. So you now have everything I know about 4 seater and Airline Coupe toolboxes. For the record, the Airline Coupe only sometimes used the 4 seater style toolbox. Other times is was a unit which hung from the cross braces.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  16:44:50  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

I know Lew has a lot of expertise on Airlines but I have several older photos and looking in my reference books to say there seems to be more that one design. The 3 examples I have just looked up for an Airline there are 2 vertical bearers that fit on the firewall so the tool box is not so wide as the one in the previous post. (Look at The MG Collection by Richard Monk and both the N & P type have a different style than in the previous post.) Also I think, but cannot confirm yet is that the nearside end flaps open and does not have a lid at the top. The man who has Brian’s old wood for 4 seaters is also doing work for me. I am not due for my next progress meeting until after Stoneleigh so I cannot find out more information until then unless I can get some photos of the old wood before then. Many years ago I did have a sample of a tool box from a P 4 seater which was similar to Lew’s design but I was not 100% certain that it was original. If you want a handy tool box the dimensions are fine. I am just saying that there are pictures from what I know are original cars with a different design……. So more investigations may be necessary…. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  16:55:50  Show Profile

Unrestored P Airline part of the end of the tool box.... Terry A
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  19:39:45  Show Profile
Yes, I too have seen the alternate design on some Airlines. As Terry says, the box opens from the end and is slightly taller but narrower and hangs lower. I don't think there was any distinction as to which was used, although I have only ever seen the type Terry shows used on PA Airlines. The broader, shorter box in my photos seems more common on the PB Airline and 4 seaters.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:30:02  Show Profile
Brian,
I'm emailing you direct.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

willis

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  13:12:51  Show Profile
Brian Ditchman borrowed my toolbox and got James Petitt to make one for him, in the process he made a number of these for various members. At the time the PA that i bought was thought to be very original.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  20:56:36  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Here are 3 pictures of the P type (non Airline) toolboxes James Pettit has made for Bryan and others I said I would get in an earlier post. I have asked James if he is willing to make some more so let me know and I will pass on to him. I have asked for the price which I do not know yet. I will be seeing him on Monday. Meanwhile I will try and get some dimensions. They are fixed to the X brace bars by some blocks underneath and have slots crudely cut at an angle to match the individual X brace of the car. …. Terry A

Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  21:10:28  Show Profile
Terry,

I would be interested in one of the P type tool boxes.

Fred..

Fred.
PA 0788
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  10:21:28  Show Profile
James Pettit has come back to me with this… “P type toolbox these are £120 each, and ready to fit, the only thing I don't fit is the two lid catches, I can fit catches supplied by Paul Beck, but these are not as original M G. I think they are about £20 a pair.”
If anyone is interested contact me off line and I will collect up the details and pass on to James so that you can deal with him direct.….. I hope this helps….

Fred, if you still want to go ahead, now you know the price, let me know …. Terry A
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000