Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB Hood Frame position
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
510 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  10:12:39  Show Profile

I have recently fitted the hood frame to my rebuilt PB with the aid of drawings and information from P Downs all of which is good information, however as I have no hood fitted at the moment I wonder if someone could post a photo of the position that the hood and frame "fall" into when the hood is down.

Also, is there a pattern of folding when lowering the hood? for example the TD manual shows a method of folding the hood when not in use and I wonder if there is a typical folding method for the P type.

I have been loaned an old hood to experiment with, however it is not original.

As has been observed in the past most MMM cars are usually parked with the hoods down and with a tonneau cover fitted so its not easy to see how the whole assembly sits.

Please excuse the long winded explanation.

Any info would be appreciated.

Russ
PB0333

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  10:44:36  Show Profile
Hi Russ

I remove the hood altogether and fold it up. The hood frame on my J2 then folds almost flat into to rear of the body and the folded hood sits flat on the battery box cover. If you try to fold them both together, I don't think you will succeed as the hood will foul the frame and get damaged in the process. You would not be able to fit the tonneau either. I think the rear hood window would also get damaged.

Fiddly I know but these are MMM MG's after all!

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
990 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  11:01:43  Show Profile
I agree with Robin. I think you'll find that most if not all P type owners remove the hood and fold it separately. Having said that, when I bought my car it had double length "Lift the Dot" pegs along the back, which may suggest that the hood could be left in place with the tonneau cover fitted on top of it.

If you remove the hood as I do, and then put it on the garage floor so that you can load the back with all your luggage before departing on your honeymoon to the Lake District, and have the hood conveniently to hand on top of everything for when it inevitably starts to rain, it's always a good idea to check the garage floor just before you leave. A long weekend in a rather wet Lake District without a hood is not to be recommended as the ideal start to marital bliss.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  12:29:25  Show Profile
Russ,
If this is of help, I have some photos showing the hood frame (less hood) in the lowered stowed position:
one in a J2

Two others from my work-in-progress PB restoration

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  12:42:23  Show Profile
Just a note when fitting the frame. The position of the suport bracket is very important. It must be positioned so when the frame is pushed up and under tension the frame hinge must be well over centre and locked. If not it becomes very tiresome on bumpy roads when the frame collapses and the front bar rests on your head supporting the hood! If it is the drivers side then the right elbow helps but this actions tends to collapse the near side. To keep the frame square and in tension my P Type has two strapps running fore and aft from the rear body frame to the windscreen. These are attached to the frames so the spacing is correct. They make the hood very rigid when errected, easy to put up and does help when the body twists. This was a mod made by a coachbuilder to my P Type over 45 years ago and has stood the 'proof of time'
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  13:59:58  Show Profile
Allan - an alternative re hood anti inadvertent hood collapse:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  16:06:32  Show Profile
Bruce

Yes a good idea. I had a tiny sheet metal clamp for many years on the fragile one. I shimmed to bracket to move the pivot point and now all is well.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
510 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  17:11:26  Show Profile

Hello everyone thanks for excellent pictures and remarks, just one small query to Allan, bearing in mind that you suggest that the hood tapes run For and Aft I assume that the appropriat pegs on the screen and body are the longer type?

Peter Downes drawing shows the tapes extending only to the Front Cross bar and the hood fitted with 2 c/Sunk brass screws onto the rear bar, so seperating the hood from the frame when stowing is more difficult, hence my question regarding a folding method

Bruce your photo's of the hood frame confirm to me that I have fitted my frame in the correct position. Thanks again.

I quite like the neat solution to the collapsing hood frame, I will keep that idea in mind should I find "hood collapse" an ongoing problem.

Russ

Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  18:59:52  Show Profile
Dade.
Yes I have two long studs on the windscreen.
The hood frame remains locked so long as the loads through the rear hoop(the high point of the hood where there is a seam between top and rear panel) into the short section below the over centre hinge are at the correct angle. This can be determined before the hood is made with the full length straps.
When folded I use the loop of tape between the two hoops to carry the hood when carefully rolled up. Mine is old so fairly thin and rolls up into a small diameter cylinder.
Allan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000