Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 'MG Era' - Brooklands on Easter Sunday
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  15:00:39  Show Profile
Just as a matter of interest, how many Triple-M-ers are planning to make the Brooklands visit on Sunday? I'm in...

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  15:42:47  Show Profile
You guys living in the the southern part of England don't know how lucky you are to be able to decide on a whim whether or not to go to such events. Used to be the ferry crossings from Ireland, North and South, were quite reasonably priced, especially for a short weekend, but now it's the guts of £400 return for the Liverpool crossing which makes a day out at Brooklands rather pricey! But hopefully my J2 - IL 2151 - will be going in the capable care of Oliver Richardson, so if you see it there, say 'Hi' from me
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  16:35:47  Show Profile
Keith & Wendy are in!
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  20:47:39  Show Profile
Hello Simon

I understand and sympathise! One of the occasionally-heard comments about Triple-M events is that at times they appear to be South East-centric. Of course the MG Era day is not a Triple-M event as such - the main Club and the MGOC are, I think, the organisers.

Where possible the Register does what it can to widen the geographical area of our own events - usually we have one main touring event a year and in the recent past these have been in Scottish Borders (2012), the Midlands (2011), The North (Third Flat Cap and Whippet event) (2010), Exmoor (2009), 2nd Flat Cap and whippet event (2008), The SE (I admit!)(2007), the first Flat Cap and Whippet and the Norfolk events (2006) and so on.

I can indicate that the 2013 event will be in none of the above - but the Committee has not yet looked at options, so I mustn't anticipate things! More anon ....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  21:36:37  Show Profile
Dick,

No criticism implied or intended. It's just a fact of life that there will be events like this that are pretty accessible for those on what we quaintly call "the mainland", but which are prohibitively expensive for those of us offshore. Although having said that, our continental cousins could pop over using Eurotunnel for a lot less than we can cross the irish Sea.

But as I said, hopefully my J2 will be there so I'll be there in spirit at least.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  08:24:06  Show Profile
Simon,
Oliver is in an M Type for next weekends Kimber - so you can rest easy there! Alham Splash may be more of a trickle this year though, drought n'all...

JH
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  10:55:48  Show Profile
Jeremy,
So I take it you won't bother with a Marigold glove over the dizzie this year?
Looking forward to a great weekend-did you know it's the 75th anniversary?
Regards,
Alan G
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  11:10:07  Show Profile
I'll be there. That is to both Brooklands and the Kimber. Admiring all the nice machinery on display, and hoping that one or two petrol stations will be open to sell me the precious fluid at £1.40 (or more) a blxxxy litre. Thank heavens for a car which will do about 50 miles to the gallon.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  11:31:24  Show Profile
Alan
75th anniversary of the Kimber is it. Perhaps we should ask Patrick to give us a talk on his reminiscences of the first event!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  11:36:08  Show Profile
Alan - to go "sans waterproofing" would be tempting fate & just asking for wet feet (Georgie will not be impressed if she has to push).
I didn't know it was the 75th, anniversaries come thick & fast!

JH
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  16:48:12  Show Profile
Martin,
I shall be marshalling with Land Rover at Alham Splash this year - just in case you need me...
John R
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  17:07:52  Show Profile
John
Glad to know that you will be there again with the lifeboat! I have another cunning plan but unfortunately I will have to be a bit more circumspect this year as I will be keeping the engine below 3,000rpm after a total rebuild. I have finally solved my 30miles to the pint oil consumption. The engine had been rebuilt with 34thou clearance on the pistons. Being short skirt they had rattled up and down rippling the bores and wearing deep grooves in the gudgeon pins. This all created unstoppable crankcase pressure blowing oil out of every orifice. I have only done a couple of hundred miles on the new rebuild but so far not a single drop of oil has appeared anywhere. So fingers crossed!
I look forward to seeing you and yours next weekend. Regards Martin

Edited by the Webmaster. 11APR12
Edited by the Webmaster 12APR12

Edited by - Martin Warner on 11/04/2012 20:14:00
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  20:44:05  Show Profile
Well, the Brooklands Day was blessed with reasonable weather but alas with a much lower attendance across all models than in past years.

Half of the Paddock was used up by a special display of various models including just one Triple-M car - Ian White's red J-type, which won Best Car in Show. Nevertheless three was plenty of room for the pre-war set -
I'd guess that the Triple-M attendance was around one third to one half of 'the usual'. Perhaps Easter had something to do with that?

In the pre-war awards, First went to Patrick Gardner's 18/80, Second to Jim Collier's J salonette and Third to Alan Dredge in his newly-acquired two-tone red NB.

The quality of the company made up for the lack of cars!

I have now posted some pictures of the event under the pictures/events section of this website.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743

Edited by - DickMorbey on 08/04/2012 22:23:24
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  10:49:40  Show Profile
Dick,
I am sure that the dull weather and threat of rain kept many people away, but I also think that better publicity would have helped. I don't recall seeing any mention of the event in "Safety Fast" nor in the "Events" section of this forum, and whilst you mentioned it in the forum a few days ago, it really needs a couple of references over a period of perhaps four weeks or so, to enable people to update their diaries. Admittedly, it was referred to in the monthly newsletter of the Brooklands Museum Trust (along with the events for American Muscle Cars, GPO Vans, Minis and Kit Cars etc.) but not everyone has access to that exciting publication. (Please excuse the slight tinge of sarcasm)

Incidentally, I am sure that it is a mere slip of the presidential pen, but in quoting the pre-war award winners, you have made no mention of Jonathan Marsh with his very nice red J2 (JA 4275) which was sitting right next to Simon Johnsons green J2. He won an award for best originality which was well deserved.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:08:45  Show Profile
Thanks Colin.

Also I don't think the Club made much mention of the event, which is a shame, as other sections seemed much less evident than in former years

Best wishes

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000